CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-06-2006, 11:23 AM   #1
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
How do you guys/girls cope with the mental aspect of crossfit. I find that sometimes I lack the motivation to hit a WOD. I think of all the pain I'm going to be experiencing and it discourages me from doing the WOD. I always end up doing it and I'm glad that I do, but getting started is a pain sometimes. One of my mental pet-peeves is that I always think of my heart rate. I know it sounds weird, but I think of how high my heart rate is going to be during a workout and I begin to dred it! What are some good techniques to overcome this? Thanks
Greg B
Old 03-06-2006, 11:44 AM   #2
Kevin Burns

Profile:
Thats a really good question. In swimming practice years ago our coach sort of had talk with us about this. He said right before a set and in between intervals if you think you're getting the fear or loss of willpower just dunk your head underwater and scream at the top of your lungs.

Alot of us did this... screaming somehow seemed to unleash the inner animal.

Old 03-06-2006, 12:06 PM   #3
Paul Alvarez

Profile:
Location: Long Beach for school, Maui and San Jose are home  CA
I can really relate to that. Happens just about everyday. I found that if I go through the workout it my head and try to figure out what round or rep i will get tired then when will fatigue really set in, options of dropping some #s from the weight, and the only way to "walk a mile is 1 step at a time." Breaking up sets really helps. Once you get to the point where youve done a couple days then I do a workout I like, usually throw around some KB, focus on skills. and reward myself with an extra beer on my day off. Good Luck.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:15 PM   #4
Dennis Yiatras

Profile:

thats the majic of crossfit. Sure you could sit there and take it easy and slack off just like most everyone else. But then again that wouldnt play tricks on your mind now would it.. Isnt crossfit fun
Old 03-06-2006, 12:22 PM   #5
Russ Greene

Profile:

I don't think about it at all. I just do it. I don't think about how hard it will be, or how high my heart rate will be, or how sore I will be the next day. I just let go of my mind and all its concerns. The pain only hurts if you fight it. If you let it be, it greatly diminishes, and you can focus on your workout.

This approach is much easier said than done. I don't think that hearing someone tell you to let go of your mind and focus on your performance is going to get you much closer to doing it, for most people. It takes intense and consistent training to get to the point where doing so is instinctual.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:46 PM   #6
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
Thanks guys. Russ, sometimes I can just do it and not worry about it. I'm usually able to do this after a nice rest of maybe 2-3 days off. My motivation seems highest when I really rest and then hit it hard again. It's usually the met-con workouts tta I'm afraid of. Doing a OL/PL or other less intense WOD's is pretty fun for me and I look forward to them. It just seems so easy for people like Greg Amundson and Josh Everett to blast through a met-con workout like "Fran" with little distress. They don't seem to be feeling much pain during a WOD. I wish there were some tricks I could play on my mind to make myself less prone to this mental thing. I honestly sometimes become scared of the WOD!(laughing). Talk about intensity.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:10 PM   #7
Dave Rounsevelle

Profile:

Thats a good question!!! But, I try to say,( like it I am going to do "Fran"), just make it to 10 and see how I feel, 10 comes along and I don't feel so bad, OK 15, 15 comes along and I feel about the same as 10. OK, now get to 20, this is the part that will test me, so I just keep pushing. Yeah, some days I just don't have it mentally (some physically too), but I just think that my competion would give up and go home. SO, I just struggle though my WOD, and finish it and not worry about the time, but just that I gutted it out and finished the WOD. I'll probably take the next day off, even if I wasn;t scheduled to. And look at my diet.
Hang in there!!!
Dave
Old 03-06-2006, 01:22 PM   #8
Kevin Burns

Profile:
"I know what I have to do, so I should just shut up and do it" - Henry Rollins

Old 03-06-2006, 01:47 PM   #9
Norm Rager

Profile:
Great question Greg!

I read somewhere within this site a frame of reference that has helped me tremendously -

Get in a 'dojo' frame of mind.

Your gym, equipment, WOD, even down to the rep and/or set is a tool to enable your mind to inact its will on your body. As your conditioning, strength, and technique/form improve, so do the tools. The result is you become better equipped physically, allowing your mind to more freely will your body to perform.

This helped me to stop the 'chatter': How heavy, how long, when will I get this done, is this going to be a good time, do I have the proper form, wonder if I'll meet Pukie, I'm sore/not sore enough, this/that is tweaked, should I rest or work through it, etc., etc.,.....

Stop the CHATTER - Step into the dojo, and use the tools.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:33 PM   #10
John Messano

Profile:
try focusing on your breathing, in particular, your exhales. and as stated above, set mini-goals within each WOD, round, set.

trust the program. it works, therefore you are getting stronger and faster.

find someone that posts regularly that is close to your times and weights. and compete with them. certainly, if they did it, you could do it just as well, if not slightly better.

mostly likely, you'll puke and/or pass out before your heart stops.