CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 03-13-2006, 09:17 PM   #1
Barry Cooper

Profile:
I just wanted to give a shout out to renting Books on CD at your local library and listening to them in your car. I am currently listening to Ghost Soldiers, and thoroughly enjoying it.

I just got done listening to "Founding a Republic of Virtue": http://www.teach12.com/ttc/Assets/co...p?pc=SiteIndex

Outstanding. It consistently amazes me how much difference there is between quality and mediocrity. This is quality.

I will say, that we used to be an immensely erudite, principled, common sense nation. It's not too late to work towards that again.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:46 PM   #2
Dan Snyder

Profile:
Read the book. Brilliant. Tough bastards all.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:43 AM   #3
Douglas Chapman

Profile:
Barry,

CrossFit is the most amazing community.

I didn't know the Teaching Company existed. I am constantly looking for and listening to audio books in my car as a way to stay educated. Most of the things that are in the regular book stores are trivial or trendy. What a great resourse to be able to buy coursework and a such a broad range of topics.

Thanks.

Doug
Old 03-14-2006, 10:35 AM   #4
Peter Queen

Profile:
Just to add my 2c. I also find audio books to be a great benefit to our society. It really keeps the creative and imaginative juices flowing. I found this to be true especially when listening to Shakespeare’s tragedies. Or all of the Harry Potter books for example. They really hold my attention and retention. I listen to them while driving back and forth to work because sometimes I get tired of all the crap on the radio.

http://www.blackstoneaudio.com/NEW.cfm
I found this link to be a great source of information on what is on audio and the site is always updated. If I see something I like I will call my local library and have them order it for me. When I am done I can return it. I get to enjoy the books and don’t have to pay for them unless I really like them, then I will just order them later off of Amazon.

Barry: Thanks for the link. Also, nice pipe. My father use to smoke one like that. I kept it as a momento after he passed away.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:29 PM   #5
Jamila Bey

Profile:
SWEET!!!

I have been looking for an argumentation course that's affordable (I work with young kids teaching them to become good debators.)

Their course from THE GUY in argument is only $50 on sale!!!
Old 03-14-2006, 02:35 PM   #6
Barry Cooper

Profile:
You're welcome. I have 8 pipes from my Grandfather, too, and finally bought some halfway decent Black Raspberry tobacco last night. Loved it. Next step is upgrading to a better pipe. That's a Stanwell. Out of my price range currently, but a man needs a few luxuries. When I can consistently afford the Laphroigh to go with it, then I think that's about as good as it gets.

I would recommend Ghost Soldiers to everyone. It is stunning just how much a determined man can endure. I have always loved stories like that.
Old 03-17-2006, 03:06 PM   #7
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
Currently muddling my way through Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe Saga on audio book.

I keep going back to Andy McNab's latest fictions as well.

(After looking at my avatar, I must be going through some kind of 'British Isles' phase or something)

Audio books rule.

My biggest gripe is an mp3 audio book is the SAME PRICE as buying the damn thing on CD or whatever (most good books are upwards of $50).

That is just stupid.

Anyone know of an online public library where you can download books for free?

edit: sorry for the thread highjack, now back to your discussion of 'Ghost Soldiers'.

(Message edited by jjones on March 17, 2006)
Old 03-18-2006, 05:09 AM   #8
Bryan McWilliams

Profile:
I'll put in my .02 for Ghost Soldiers.

For all interested in SOP's, this is great history and a great story (true)

It's the story of the creation of the Army Rangers and their first mission. The mission was to liberate a Japanese POW camp in the Phillipines. This camp held POW's that had survived the Battaan Death March.

It was clear that Japan had lost the Phillipines and they were retreating. US was worried that Japan would murder the POW's as they retreated.

The Rangers got the job done.

2 people in this book awed me. The Captain that thought the whole mission up, (and in the process created the Rangers) sold it up the line, and chose and trained these guys, and the Ivy Leager (he is one of the toughest looking guys I've ever seen, not threatening, just "I'll kill you if I have to, it's nothing personal" tough).

This is a fabulous book.

May I also praise:
BAnd of Brothers
The Greatest Generation
Two Against the Ice (one of the best true adventure stories about determination, teamwork and responsibility). 2 explorers marooned on Greenland for more tha TWO years, who live to tell about it.

And of Course "South" by Sir Earnest Shackleford.
Old 03-18-2006, 06:22 AM   #9
Jason Billows

Profile:
Not necessarily an audio book, but I find myself listening to CF Live constantly. I have all of the shows on my ipod and listen to them in the car and while out walking. It's a good way to keep yourself in check on rest days when you may be tempted by junk food.