CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 02-22-2005, 10:46 PM   #1
Jim Howe

Profile:
This last Tabata WOD had a different scoring system... it wasn't based on the lowest # of reps in any set. So instead of pacing to a max output, I just went hell-bent in every set.... and I think I got a better workout.
My question is: Is there any basis for two different scoring methods, or is it just a random thing.
Did anybody else find this scoring method more conducive to just going all out every time?
Old 02-23-2005, 03:43 AM   #2
Graham Hayes

Profile:
Yeah, I paced with the pull ups and got lower than expected and went all out with the rest and got some good numbers. I think this one knocks out the pacing that people do to get high scores in normal scoring, in this way I think it's closer to the original Tabata experiment.

Although when it comes to getting scores of 22-26 (squats) with lowest set counts type of scoring, then it's all the same.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:09 AM   #3
Karl Steadman

Profile:
I find that i feel i've accomplished more if i go hell for leather right the way thru the intervals. The low set numbers that i get as it progresses serve as a reminder of constantly striving to improve.....

Pacing it out has always seemed to defeat the object IMO. Obviously not scientific and only my reasoning, but thought i'd throw it into the mixer.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:28 PM   #4
Mike Yukish

Profile:
I've always liked the gamesmanship of pacing applied to pullups and pushups, because with the choice of reps on the first set I'm basically writing a check that my body has to be able to cash in on the last set. Nothing sucks more than maintaining X pullups until set 7, then coming up with X-3. It's like Chelsea, but with your choice of reps on 30 second intervals instead of on the minute, and just going for 8 rounds each.

With situps and squats my score is similar either way of computing it.