CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 12-30-2004, 04:57 PM   #11
Nic Nakis

Profile:
I'm with Pat on this one. If you do the WOD at home, then you don't have to worry about congestion or moving very far to the stations.

Hang a rope in the backyard, use a doorframe for pullups, a chair for dips, dumbells for swings and db lifts, get a homemade med ball, make subs as needed.

Setting up a home gym is a lot easier (and cheaper) than it may sound.
Old 12-30-2004, 06:44 PM   #12
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
I'm well on my way to a home gym...there are several of the WODs that I can do at home. However, I've yet to pick up heavy KBs, so I still need big DBs from the gym. Plus, I do a lot of stuff besides CF which requires a traditional gym. I'm not going to be excavating a competition-spec pool in my backyard anytime soon.

I find that gyms vary widely. The last place I worked out at essentially drove me away because they were not particularly CF-friendly...despite having a full gymnastics program on-site. However, I now belong to the local rec center...and they're happy to have me, "weird" exercises and all. They pretty much give me the run of the place.

One problem I have always had with working out at home though is the ease with which I'm distracted. Time to quickly check the email, change the CD, etc. quickly takes me away from my workout. However, when I go to "the gym" I know I'm there to work.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:01 PM   #13
Pat Janes

Profile:

That's why everybody needs a "shed", Matt.

My shed is my world away from real life... has all my gear in it, the only technology is a beat up old portable stereo. It's way down in the backyard and once I say I'm going down for a workout everyone knows to leave me alone until I re-emerge.

Still... not everyone has an acre out of the backyard to build the shed in.

I must admit I found it a lot harder to remove myself completely from the various distractions at our last place, when I had to do the majority of the WODs inside the house.

I've yet to get kettlebells too... they're on the shopping list. I make do with plate-loaded dumbbells (the spinlock kind); not as safe as I'd like but I hammer the collars in place, and they haven't budged yet.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:12 PM   #14
Nic Nakis

Profile:
I don't have a shed, but I have a basement. I pipe in MP3's from the computer and get busy. Even though it's not away from the house, I rarely talk to anybody and I definitely don't answer the phone.

As for roommates - they see me all sweaty and throwing weights and **** around and they turn the other way.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:17 PM   #15
Michael Halbfish

Profile:
Matt, your message was clear and I understood you. Like you, I attempt to focus all of the exercises in one spot. Unfortunately, I usually need to do this where the pullup bar and dip bars are located. I tend to go tot the gym during non peak areas. I find this very helpful for all workouts, especially chippers.
I like your idea of doing a nonassigned exercise while waiting for a space to free up.
I will sometimes shift the order, ie I might swap situps for Knees to Elbows if the pullup bar is in use. Then, I'll do KTE later when I would have done situps. I do my best to sub comparable exercises.
Old 12-31-2004, 09:43 AM   #16
Alex McClung

Profile:
I crossfit at a commercial gym also, and often do what Matt G. does - Locate the whole WOD into an unused spinning room or such. THe trainers have been very accomodating once they saw hard the work was, just so long as I'm not dropping weights too much (no bumpers). If I have to walk 30' to a station I can't relocate, who cares ? At my level a 20 second transfer isn't going to make a big dent in the suffer-fest.

I'd love to equip a home gym someday, for the specialized (generalized ?) equipment the commgyms don't carry, to have my friends come over and work out any time, and for the atmospere.
Old 12-31-2004, 11:37 AM   #17
Michael McMahon

Profile:
For those concerned about the expense of the "regulation" kettlebells, theres something called Kettlestacks. Its a plate loaded KB where the standard plates are loaded in a vertical fashion, closely replicating the roundness of a regular KB. They were reveiwed at t-nation.com. Not a commercial plug, just trying to help out.
Old 12-31-2004, 12:25 PM   #18
William Hunter

Profile:
I've seen those Kettlestacks advertised. Has anyone out there used them? I'd be a nice alternative. There are lots of other things I need to complete a home gym.
Old 12-31-2004, 07:45 PM   #19
Michael Halbfish

Profile:
Regarding Kettlebells. I like the bells from Detroit Barbell www.renegadetraining.com sells them. You can fill them with sand so that the weight shifts as you swing them. However, the handles are much thicker on the dragondoor kettlebells and thick handles are better for building grip and increasing strength.
Old 01-15-2005, 03:09 PM   #20
Scott Parker

Profile:
first off, what the heck is a "chipper"? i've been here for over 2 years and never heard the term before! please enlighten me!

next, if i can get through the WOD at my local YMCA, anyone can! the only thing my gym has that is conducive to CrossFit is a squat rack, pull-up bar, a ghetto glute/ham apparatus, and a C-2 rower (the rower is a key and almost essential piece of equipment in my opinion, and just lucked out with my ghtetto gym actually having one.) the heaviest medicine ball is only twelve lbs, but still kicks my arse (can not imagine throwing a 25lb. ball 25-50 times!) the rest i improvise. to avoid getting "jammed-up" behind someone else i try and go during off-peak hours. if this isn't possible i just suck it up and make the best of it. every once in a while someone will strip my bar while i'm in another room doing sprints or rowing, and i just politely tell them that i am doing a circuit. never had a problem, and use the fact that i have to go from room to room as part of the WOD. i'll run from station to station, or up the stairs to the rower, etc., and most of the time people just leave me alone because they are like, what the heck is this idiot doing? only a few times have i had someone actually come up to me and ask me about my workout, and not once been sucessful in actually getting someone to do a WOD with me!

the index card idea works well for me. i've been using it since i started CF, and another advantage to it is if you leave it at a station that you are not presently at, it lets others know that you are using this area or piece of equipment.

instead of kettlebells i use dumbbells, instead of rings i do my dips on a dip bar, and my pull-ups and muscle-ups on a pull-up bar. i'll substitute pull-ups for rope climbing, etc. at home i have a hang board that i do pull-ups on, do handstand push ups against my wall, and have a cheap set of adjustable dumbbells. every once in a while, if the WOD calls for it i will stay at home and do the WOD there, but kind of prefer the gym. at home i can slack off because nobody is watching. at the gym i feel motivated and also have the equpiment at my disposal for warming up (almost always do a set or two of OH squats before the WOD with back extensions and another exercise of choice.)

after two years of making these substitutes i really haven't found any ill effects.