CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 02-26-2003, 02:20 PM   #1
steven

Profile:  
Is the rope climb a basic hand over hand with no footlock? I'm a tree climber so I have a tree line I could use doubled and a thicker lowering line- no gymnastics rope. How far is a lap considered?
Old 02-28-2003, 07:57 PM   #2
David Leys

Profile:  
Hey steven, the rope climb is usually what you just said it was. Ofcoarse then you would use your footlock if apsolutly neccesary... If you mean a lap at a track, then that would be 400 meters.
Old 03-01-2003, 08:34 AM   #3
David Wood

Profile:

On a rope climb, one "lap" is up and back.

Coach often asks for "double laps" or "double ups" . . . go up, come down, touch just a toe, and go up again. (I can't do this.)

Ideally, rope climbs should be arms only, no footlock and no use of the legs at all . . . but, that said, making the appropriate adaptations for *your* specific fitness level is an essential part of CrossFit . . . so use the legs if you need to.

I believe that the vast majority of us make accommodations at some point in doing CrossFit (less weight, fewer reps, etc.) . . . and we still benefit hugely.

Old 03-01-2003, 11:04 AM   #4
Daniel Ramos

Profile:
I think that what both Steven and I where wandering is, how long is the rope? How far up a climb is considered one lap?

happy trainer
Daniel
Old 03-01-2003, 11:35 AM   #5
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Somebody correct me here if I'm wrong, but I thought I remember reading somewhere that the rope used for crossfit was a 13' "mini."
Old 03-01-2003, 08:20 PM   #6
David Wood

Profile:

Oh, man, I really hope that's true . . . if it is, I can count my 30' climb (the rope is hung from a YMCA gymnasium ceiling, at least 6 times my height) as a double lap.

By the way, if we're really ambitious, our goal should be to do the rope climbs while holding the legs in an "L" position (legs horizontal, knees straight).

Dave
Old 03-03-2003, 03:47 PM   #7
Jon Pappas

Profile:
David,

Do you have technique tips on rope climb?
Old 03-03-2003, 05:49 PM   #8
David Wood

Profile:

Oh, Jeez, no.

I'm really flattered that you ask . . . but all I've done is gone at it consistently.

Basic technique (i.e., hand over hand). I don't hold my legs in an L-sit or anything like that . . . like I said, that's the ideal (not the current reality).

Mostly, I've just been fortunate to have a good rope available (feels like manila, about 1-1/2" or 2" diameter), and have made a consistent point of trying it every few days.

My form coming down is awful . . . I do tend to let the rope wrap around my leg for that (and sometimes apply a footlock) to provide some friction slowdown on what otherwise would be a screaming descent to a hard landing (we also pad the landing area). The wraparound technique does lead to rope burns in the thigh or lower leg area (try explaining that to your wife).

Some time ago, the WOD included links to some awesome photos (video? I can't remember) of a truly awesome climber. Does anyone remember the links, or the date of that WOD?

Dave
Old 03-03-2003, 09:53 PM   #9
Jon Pappas

Profile:
Dave - Do you rope climb on WOD days too? Even when the WOD doesn't call for rope climb?

I too have a 1-1/2" rope, it's one of those black and red truck ropes, but it's not 30'.

I think just more practice is the answer. I've only done it a few times and I can barely get one hand over the other, so I've been doing more pull-ups on the ropes.
Old 03-04-2003, 11:22 AM   #10
David Wood

Profile:

I guess I climb about 2 or 3 times / week, whether or not the WOD calls for it.

Regrettably, I don't do the WOD nearly as often as I'd like . . . for instance, I'm coming off 5 days in a row with no workout . . . way, way too much work (no sleep last night). Got a weird sort of semi-CrossFit workout this morning, but not at full throttle . . . very spacy doing it on no sleep.

So, even if the WOD calls for a rope climb, I may not get to it, or at least, not on that day. But I have been doing it 2 - 3 x / week. I find that the regular (and extensive) chinning work in CrossFit adds to the rope climbing ability.

When I first started on the rope, all I did was "pull ups" (just pulling up and down, no hand-over-hand). I gradually added one reach up, then two . . . and at that point, it started coming fast. I went from being able to climb 6 feet to being able to climb 30 feet in just a week or so . . . probably more confidence than anything else.

I do think that climbing 30 feet straight up is easier than climbing 15, letting yourself down for a toe touch, and then going up again . . . the change of direction at the bottom is brutal, both physically and mentally.