CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 01-12-2005, 06:06 AM   #1
Graham Tidey

Profile:
Ola todas,

I was just a'wunderin what people do for their warmups? Mine have gotten a wee bit long to the point where I'm pretty knackered before I even start doing the WoD.

I start with good mornings, pistols, l-sits, fingertip pressup stands and tuck planches - all the slow controlled things. Then I do the official WoD with knees to elbows thrown in and 120 situps of different variations. Then it's BJJ nods and dumbell grabbing.

And now I'm ready for the WoD. Killer. I keep finding interesting exercises and keep adding them to the list - I cant stop!

My question is, is this much more than everyone else is doing? If so, I was thinking of alternating days between a few of the extra exercises so as to cut down the time I'm at the gym. If anyone else has a ton of pre-wod exercises how do you manage them?

Old 01-12-2005, 06:29 AM   #2
Graham Hayes

Profile:
That's a big warm up! I either do the CrossFit warm up + snatch's or 5xOHS, 5xhang squat clean & 5xsnatch's quickly. And some stretching. Depends on the WOD which one I do.

I put all the stuff I wanna-wanna-do for later in the day or rest days.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:10 AM   #3
John Justin Syvrud

Profile:

Graham T.
Yeah you have plenty on your plate. You might try to find all exercises you want to practice, and split them up trying to make sure the body gets warm with both warm-ups and just alternate. You will get your work without overtraining or killing your WOD effort.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:14 AM   #4
John Justin Syvrud

Profile:

I'm sorry, I didn't read your whole post to actually see what you were asking. Anyways, I do the normal x-fit warm-up with a 20lb weight vest, and am working on OHS now. I try to do what you do minus the BJJ work at home in a GTG method. I don't think I would want to do all of it at once.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:40 AM   #5
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
I do:

A specialization move: speed deadlifts, speed squats, speed bench, yoga balance holds or pistols

Coach summer's gymnastic progression-1 minute total work for each of the two movements

1 minute total L-sit

Kip-ups (once I get them down)

Then I usually do 3 rounds of:

Pull-ups
Push-ups
Samson Stretch
OH Squats

If I lack time, I cut into the warm-up. If I think it'll impact the WOD, I cut it.

Old 01-12-2005, 12:56 PM   #6
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
Lately I have been practicing OHS, sometimes I do 40 - 50 reps of push ups and squats (unbroken)with Lsits.

Most of the time, I don't have time for much of a warm up. I just stretch out a little and jump into the WOD (taking it slow-er at first).
Old 01-12-2005, 01:10 PM   #7
Ron Nelson

Profile:
I keep getting good ideas for new movements from T-nation. I've added suitcase deadlifts, incline step ups, etc. to the mix just to keep it interesting. Since I'm not sport specific right now, I haven't been shooting baskets in the gym, but as that season rols around I'll shoot for 1/2 hour before the other stuff. Good for eye/hand coordination too!
Old 01-12-2005, 01:39 PM   #8
Mike Minium

Profile:
Ron,

I'm really keen on shooting baskets for warm-ups, too. Obviously, this type of warm-up isn't all that scaleable since it requires access to a basketball hoop, a basketball, and that the court is near the gym (or in it). But it's nice to do if you have the opportunity.

I like doing the following to get the blood flowing (no rest):

10 right-handed lay-ups (or dunks ;-))
10 left-handed lay-ups
10 right-handed reverse lay-ups
10 left-handed reverse lay-ups

You have to return to the free throw line after every lay-up and you can't take a break.

This little routine can be incorporated into the standard CF warm-up (i.e., repeated three to five times and sandwiched between pull-ups, push-ups, etc.).

And as you mention, this type of warm-up hits the neurological components of athleticism (coordination, in particular), something that's sometimes lacking in warm-up routines.

Mike
Old 01-12-2005, 04:48 PM   #9
Dave Campbell

Profile:
I row for my warmup. It hits just about everything except maybe my triceps. That's all I do...and only for 3-5 minutes. That's pretty pathetic for a warmup, I know, but it works for me (and I'm 40). The basketball warmup sounds great, though.
I was talking with a big guy (powerlifter)in the locker room the other day. He was smearing Flexall 454 (something like that) all over. He said it allowed him to warm up in only 30 minutes. I remember thinking to myself, "I'll have finished the WOD and be halfway through a protein shake in 30 minutes.
Different strokes!
Old 01-13-2005, 03:58 AM   #10
Michael Pearce

Profile:
I do quite a bit of warm up as well to the point of it being way too long. So what I have done is break it up over each day.

I have started a Blog with what my warm up was, what I would like to do next time, and any points I want to remember.

This way I can change up the warm up almost everyday. I try to do exercises for abs, obliques, and any body part not hit too hard by the WOD that day. I don't go to failure and I keep the sets low as well as the reps maybe 5x5 max on any one exercise.

I always start with the Samson stretch and go from there. If the WOD has one really focused part like a ton of pullups I won't do any arm warmups etc... I also will add a day in for static work like the L-sit or Handstands. I try to keep to the Crossfit idea of mixing it up everyday so I don't get bored and keep it short but good. I have a ton of exercises now so I almost never do the same warm up twice.