CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-21-2007, 02:55 PM   #1
Brandon Michael Enos

Profile:
Just wondering who here has heard of, or followed this diet? What are you oppinions?

http://www.warriordiet.com/

I just came here from dragondoor.com forums and The Warrior Diet is the big thing there.

I have both this book and The Paleo Diet and have been following a combined method of the two, combining the paleo diet food with the warrior diet principles of undereating during the day, and "overeating" at night, after your workout.

I have seen a 20# weight drop in less than 4 weeks of mixxing the two, along with a solid workout program.

Anyways, just wondering what people think.

Thanks
Old 03-21-2007, 03:35 PM   #2
Skylar Cook

Profile:
Sounds good to me. Despite all the new diet fads and weight gain scares, I feel better when I workout on empty, and eat later at night; just more proof of nutrition BS in the mainstream.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:51 PM   #3
Kevin Burns

Profile:
I tried it and didn't really care for it. I think there is only a small amount of people who could really pull that off day after day. The concept of Intermittent fasting is good but the Warrior Diet's implementation is pretty difficult.

Old 03-21-2007, 04:07 PM   #4
Kevin McKay

Profile:
I would favor a 6hr on 18hr off IF schedule, ie only eat between noon and 6pm for example.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:43 PM   #5
Brandon Michael Enos

Profile:
I was just wondering since I see lots on The Paleo Diet and The Zone, and couldnt find anything on The Warrior Diet.

I dont do a full fast during the day. If I feel hungry (actually hungry, not just cravings) Ill eat some fruit or a green salad.

I almost never workout right before dinner, its usually between 10AM to noon, so Ill have a recovery meal after working out. For that I usually have a small salad or fruit (carbs) and something along the lines of 5 or 6 slices of deli turkey.

Then for dinner, I usually cook something out of the Paleo Diet book. For desert, handful of walnuts or something.

I agree with Skylar also. I feel a lot better working out on a empty stomach, feel like I have more energy.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:30 AM   #6
Gorm Laursen

Profile:
I do something that's very similar to WD, but it's not deliberate. Its just that I've gotten used to not eating unless I'm hungry and the hunger normally first arrives in the late afternoon. Your description of your day is quite similar to mine, but not all my days are like those. Some days are EATING days, other are pure fast. I try to mix it up ...

I must say that it's NOT something I do in the winter time, because it lefts me freezing like a something-that-freezes-alot.

PS: The best advice for someone who want's to give WD a try: Do it when you're madly in love and doesn't need anything besides the subject of your desire!
Old 03-22-2007, 09:43 AM   #7
Rob McBee

Profile:
Good stuff IMO. Intermittant Fasting with some historical context made for a nice read. Tough to adjust to but lots of health benefits.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:11 PM   #8
Jason McCain

Profile:
Brandon,

First "diet" I ever tried (WD). I really liked it, but my performance on it wasn't great. I was strict on it for several months and felt great mentally, etc. In the afternoons I would be quite hungry and eventually I got to the point I would "cheat" a lot in the afternoons with junk food found while scavenging at work.

From there I switched to the zone and found it very time consuming in the beginning and hard to eat all the food (probably not what most people experience going to the zone). I actually felt less alert and focused (also unique from what I've heard). I did feel much better in the way of extreme hunger had been eliminated. The real benefit was performance. My performance shot up and I cut minutes off of all my "lady" times on irregular training and sleep. Strength also increased. I did get used to the time zone required. I did this by only cooking at night. Every night my wife or I would cook breakfast and dinner. We would store the breakfast for the morning and always cooked enough for dinner to have it the next day as our lunch.

Now I have been doing a 15-18 hr IF (Mon-Fri) while eating my same zone blocks during my "feeding phase". Not sure of the results just yet. It is hard to eat that much food in 6-9 hours.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:54 AM   #9
Edward D. Friedman

Profile:
I respectfully suggest that you consider www.fast-5.com ( Download the free book there.) Also consider the Yahoo!Groups "Fasting" discussion board which focuses on IF. (The links there are excellent as well.)

For me, substituting a true non-caloric beverages only fasting period for WD's "under eating" was a HUGE improvement. On WD, even a handful of almonds would trigger hunger that would undermine the IF intent. (see Fast-5's discussion of "Limbic" versus "somatic" hunger. This REALLY hit home for me.)

Counter-intuitively (for me anyway,) having no calories during the day, once adapted ( usually just a few days for a "jump start", longer if gradually phased in,)as opposed to snacking/small meals (ie; under eating,) becomes EASY !!!

IF health & wellness benefits aside, ( which I believe in and are a motivator for me,) lifestyle-wise, I have found Fast-5/IF to be WONDERFUL. ( More time for constructive pursuits, better and more even energy, greater appreciation of food, greater enjoyment of food during the "eating window", etc.)

All the best,

Eddie
Old 03-23-2007, 12:40 PM   #10
Nathan Stanley

Profile:
Edward, I downloaded the Ebook and read through the first three sections. It is very similar to the warrior diet. I was wondering, since research suggests a protein drink after a workout is beneficial, does this diet preclude that or does the protein negate the "positive" effects of the fast.