CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-18-2006, 02:45 PM   #1
James R. Duwve

Profile:
I'm trying to balance my blocks correctly and was wondering about foods that contain both protein and carbs. For example I see that spinach chopped and cooked is 3 1/2 cups per block. However, that amount of spinach would also contain about 15 grams or 2 blocks of protein.

From all the reading I've done I haven't seen this counted towards protein blocks. Should it be counted? Or am I missing something.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:57 PM   #2
Jesse Woody

Profile:
Don't count this towards protein blocks, as the total bioavailable protein is actually rather low. The same goes for nuts and seeds...they have protein, but the actual bioavailability means that far less than the total protein content is being digested and put to use by your body.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:03 PM   #3
James R. Duwve

Profile:
Thanks Jesse, I just found the same advice in an old post from Nikki Young. I guess I get to eat more food now.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:48 AM   #4
Tim Coward

Profile:  
Yes, thanks from me too Jesse. That's really interesting. I posted a similar query on Dr. Sears's website forum, in which I asked what would happen with a four block meal with tuna as protein and four blocks of raw cauliflower as the carbs. In theory that means more protein in the carb blocks than in the actual protein. I've not come across the concept of bioavailability before. Out of the 32.5g protein in 4 blocks of cauliflower, roughly how much would be available to the body do you think ?
Old 07-19-2006, 03:57 AM   #5
Jesse Woody

Profile:
Here is a chart I just quickly found. Not very extensive, but it gives you the idea. A protein value of 100 is top-end bioavailable (as they created the scale when eggs were the most bioavailable protein source, hence whey is 104)

http://www.fitstep.com/Advanced/Tips...tein-chart.htm

As you can see, when you move towards plant-based protein sources the bioavailability drops by about half, and that is in sources considered pretty good for protein (i.e. beans). I would imagine that the various fruits and vegetables would be even lower.

This is the idea behind the whole block system, is that it takes bioavailability of macronutrients into question and creates a good scale that is quite easy to quickly discern, rather than spending time counting every single gram of protein, then dividing it by .054, etc. etc. to figure out exactly how much of that protein is actually having an effect.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:52 AM   #6
Tim Coward

Profile:  
Thanks again Jesse, that's fascinating. I should've known better than to doubt Dr. Sears's methods !

Does this mean that I can now question my no-dairy veggie friends who tell me they get enough protein from their lentils and beans ?
Old 07-20-2006, 06:34 AM   #7
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
Yes, your veggie friends are fooled into thinking they're getting protein, but really they are just carbo-loading. Try not to get them upset, it might cause their hearts to explode. Just sit back and watch them get fatter.