CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-23-2006, 08:03 PM   #1
Gordon Richmond

Profile:
This is a long, rambling post that I didn’t really know where to go with, but here it is:

I’ve let two things derail my Crossfit journey more than anything else. The first was when I got mono about a year ago and saw my overall fitness completely diminished. After sticking pretty steadily to the WODs I made a comeback and I was in better shape than I had been before. The second thing was four months studying in Barcelona. My diet/sleep/wine consumption was pretty unhealthful over there, and it was tough to get a workout in, or at least that’s my excuse.

Anyway, I’ve been back for about six weeks and I’m trying to get back into the mix, but this time I want to do so with some tangible goals. I do Army ROTC so I take the APFT (2 min pushups, 2 min situps, 2 mile run), but I’m pretty sure most of the folks here think it’s a pretty poor indicator of overall fitness. Regardless, after my slothful time in Spain I can still max the situps in a pinch (around 80) and easily pass both the run and the pushups. I think Crossfitting does plenty to work towards these without specifically focusing on them, and I just don’t get a rush out of training for the APFT.

There are a few exercises that I hate. The first is running. Jogging I don’t mind, but I have always loathed anything between 400m up to a mile. Hell, I hate the two mile, too, but I just don’t feel as bad after it. I ran 400m in 1:32 and I thought I was going to die. I rested for a couple minutes and ran it again and got a 1:40 and I swear I was starting to be enveloped in a white light.

The next exercise on my s*** list is the dip. I’ve never been great at push-ups and was never a great bencher back when I played football, but my inadequacy in the dip department made me look like a wee man. The next exercise is the pull-up. I might just hate it because I do it from the same apparatus as the dip, but I don’t like this one, either. I finally got the kip down and my numbers went up, but I gotta keep cracking. Finally, the L-sit. This is a vile exercise. I can do sit-ups and flutter kicks easily, but my attempt at an L-sit is just heinous.

So, my goals for the next few months are to work on all these things that I hate. Here are some benchmarkish numbers, some of which I unabashedly stole from Crossfit North’s pdf (linked by the FAQ) about athletic skill levels:

800m Run: 3:00 flat
Bar dips (nips to hips): 20
Pull-ups: 20
L-sit: 30 seconds

I know that the pull-ups will be worked with the WOD alone, but I want to do extra work on the other three exercises. I’ve decided to do extra sets of dips and L-sits first thing in the morning and before my workout in the evening. The 800m is what leaves me a little more perplexed. I like (and my like I mean loathe) the short runs within the WODs, but I’m already tired as heel by the second round.

How can I add in training for this without compromising anything else? Does anyone have a nifty beginners 800m workout they can share? I have no idea what sort of timeframe I am/should be aiming for, but all your feedback is most appreciated.
Old 06-24-2006, 06:55 AM   #2
Gorm Laursen

Profile:
Ofcourse it's best to do the exercise itself, but if you run sour on it don't do it.
Lay a foundation with rowing or biking and the running thats in the WOD. Once that foundation has been put down, it will be easy for you to obtain the 800 meters in 3:00 in no time.
If you don't have access to a rower, do air squats instead. From where I stand 800 meters running equals approx. 50-70 squats.

L-sit is easily obtained with leg lifts, with a little pause in the top.

With pull ups and dips, theres nothing to do than grease the groove: www.cbass.com/Synaptic.htm

Good luck