CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:19 AM   #1
Justin Scarsella

Profile:
hey guys,

I'm excited to go to this cert in flagstaff, but anyone from that area have any recommendations for traveling. I'm coming from birmingham Al. Should I just get a flight to flagstaff or take a flight to pheonix and drive to flagstaff. Any one know how long the drive would be?
How about any hotel recommendations. Any input is greatly appreciated and looking forward to meeting some of you guys there.

Have a great one

Justin
Old 08-09-2007, 07:36 AM   #2
Mike Burgener

Profile:
personally even though i do not live in flagstaff i would fly to phoenix and drive to flag. i would take my time and go thru oak creek canyon and sedona, az. i hear the flag airport is a real roller coaster!!! that is certainly not my style!!!
Old 08-09-2007, 10:31 AM   #3
Tim Weaver

Profile:
Drive from Phoenix Airport to Flagstaff will be about 2-3 hours, depending on traffic. On a Friday afternoon, Northbound traffic out of Phoenix can be very slow until you hit the Anthem (subdivision) area about 15 miles North of the Loop 101/I-17 area in the north part of the valley.

There is some construction usually occurring on I-17, near Cordes Junction or Camp Verde. If there's some major accident on I-17, you can be stuck for quite a while, since it's the only main N/S access to Flagstaff from Phoenix.

To be honest, I don't know what the Phoenix/Flagstaff puddle-jumper rates are, or whether you'll save money by flying to Phoenix and renting a car versus flying to Flag...but you'll likely need a car there, too, unless you can con someone into picking you up.

As for hotels, can't help you there.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:33 AM   #4
Lisa Ray

Profile:
It's kind of a catch-22 on whether to fly directly into Flagstaff or into Phoenix and then drive. I often try to fly out of Flagstaff because of the drive to Phx and then parking my car and paying for the parking rates. But, if you fly into Flagstaff, sometimes the layover in Phoenix is a little bit long. Coach B. is alsor correct in saying that the flight into Flag is a bumpy one-which I happen to like!
I would look at the fares and see how much more it will be to fly into Flagstaff, then look at your Phx layover time. There are shuttles that come from Phx airport right into downtown Flagstaff, and they run about $35-50. I gave hotel and travel information to CrossFit HQ, so I am sure they will be sending you all the info if you are signed up to be here in October.
Here are a couple of shuttles to check into from Phx to Flag:
http://www.afriendlyshuttle.com/
http://openroadtours.com/shuttles/ph...lg/default.htm
Just some more info on travel: We are at the end of I-17 and right off I-40, so it's pretty easy to drive to if people feel like a shuttle or 2 hr. drive from the Phoenix airport is a drag.
Flag is a 7-hour drive from LA, San Diego, Bakersfield. 4 hours from Las Vegas, 4:45 from Albuquerque, 4 from Tucson.
PHX is ~5 hours from San, 6 hours from LAX, 7 from Bakersfield, 5.5 from Vegas, 6:45 from Albuquerque, 2 hours from Tucson.

Looking forward to seeing everyone there!
Lisa
Old 08-09-2007, 12:19 PM   #5
Justin Scarsella

Profile:
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the info and help.

Looking forward to October.

Justin
Old 08-09-2007, 06:00 PM   #6
Yael Grauer

Profile:
Whatever you do, don't stay at the Monte Vista hotel. It is overpriced, very loud, crappy service, poorly maintained, etc.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:29 AM   #7
Craig Brown

Profile:
I would also add that hotel proximity to the railroad tracks may lead to sleepless nights. Flagstaff is a VERY active rail line. At least bring earplugs!

Craig
Old 08-10-2007, 01:15 PM   #8
Yael Grauer

Profile:
Monte Vista is even worse because they have a bar downstairs...very loud.

They do have the best hot chocolate I've ever tasted in the hotel cafe, however.

I love Flag.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:48 PM   #9
Craig Brown

Profile:
I played my first gig ever solo at the Monte V., as well as my last Flag show before moving to Seattle.

Flag is a great town.

Craig