CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 10-05-2005, 11:39 PM   #1
Joshua F Hillis

Profile:
How much experience do I need to have with the lifts before attending the club coach course? I'm still sketchy about snatching anything better than pvc. Basically my overhead squat still sucks, which I figure would be a major stumbling block. Do I need to have that totally worked out ahead of time?

Also, has anyone taken the USAW Sports Performance Coach Course? Thoughts on the difference between the two courses?
Old 10-06-2005, 06:39 AM   #2
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Josh, I took the course only 3 months after I started going to Mike's Gym. I had a very bum ankle at the time as well. You'll find that MANY of the people who go to the club coach course have never even attempted an OHS, never mind the full lifts. When I see Crossfitters at Mike's classes, they're usually kicking butt and taking names especially compared to the high school football coaches that attend. Ever since Crossfitters have started attending the Club Coach courses, the quality of the lifting at these classes has gone up. You'll be fine and you'll have a great time.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:07 AM   #3
Joshua F Hillis

Profile:
Cool, thanks!
Old 10-06-2005, 05:34 PM   #4
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
I took the sports performance coaching course. It's basically the same. We spent a little less time on oly lifting, although from what I understand it wasn't that much less. We spent 1/2 a day on med balls, plyometrics and kettlebells, etc.

I would have taken the club coach course but timing wise, the SPC course worked better. I would advise taking the club coach course if I were you because the rest of the stuff you can get from crossfitting. But I wouldn't hesitate to take one if you can't take the other.

You'll be totally fine with your level of fitness. No worries.

Old 10-06-2005, 06:36 PM   #5
Beth Moscov

Profile:
I took the club coach. I had been doing the lifts for about 8 months and had some exposure through Coach Burgener. But that wasn't the norm. There were a range of folks from those taking it to actually start training folks, to those wanting to work on learning more for themselves, to those there out of initial interest.

Personally, I think going when you are really new is great. You learn how to do it right and then don't need to unlearn mistakes later on.

I haven't taken the other. I was told it was developed for people who want a similar course but don't intend to become coaches. I think I remember it was supposed to be more theory than practice on the lifts in particular. I might be wrong though.