CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 10-04-2005, 09:12 AM   #1
Gus Sonnenberg

Profile:

Some of Coach's recent posts reminded me of a question I have for men and women in the U.S. (or our allies) military. "ediddy" pasted a quote from the most recent linked article on the main page.

"No combination of dictatorship and clericalism can possibly stand against the determined power of the United States. In other words, the eventual result is certain victory, military and political, however long the task may take. It can be useful to bear this in mind. The job of citizens is to make sure that this American power really is self-determined, and not left either to professionals or to amateurs. We are not watching for the outcome of this war: we are participants in it and had better comport ourselves as such."

This reminded me of a story about National Guardsmen returning from Iraq. One of the citizen soldiers voiced his frustration that most americans are going on with their life as if nothing is happening.

What do you expect out of citizens? How our we supposed to act as participants in the ongoing war against our enemies?

I have been wondering about this for some time and I would appreciate your input.

Thank you for your service to me and my family.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:00 AM   #2
Ahmik Jones

Profile:
I thought a lot about this, and I think I have an answer.

Back in WWII, the soldiers came home on ships. This took about 2 weeks. This was 2 weeks that they were away from the stresses of combat, 2 weeks that they had to process what they had been through in order to prepare themselves for a return to society.

Now they can go right from being targeted with indirect fire, to home overnight. They are still feeling very distictly the stresses of combat, and see Americans seeming not to care what they have been through.

What we should be doing as Americans, is another thing that was done back in WWII. We need to celebrate their homecoming. It needs to be a big deal so that returning deployers will know that their sacrifices are appreciated. We may not be able to have a parade for every returning unit, but it would help to get the community involved in celebrating the homecoming of the troops. Maybe a community festival after a unit returns would be helpful.

I do not know if any of this is feasable, but I think that it is the only thing that we can do to try to help them see that they are appreciated.
Old 10-15-2005, 07:39 AM   #3
Chris Goodrich

Profile:
Americans Suporting Americans (http://www.asa-usa.org/site/PageServ...ename=homepage) has a good program where cities adopt a small military unit (company size for the army, not sure about other services). In the units I have been in that were adopted, it made a positive difference. If you're interested in doing something for the troops, they're worth checking out.
Chris
Old 10-15-2005, 09:09 AM   #4
Andrew Brown

Profile:
Gus,
Moral support is the most valuable thing you can give. Tell a soldier/sailor/airman/marine that you care about what they do. Thank a deployed member's parents or spouse or kid. Then tell a friend. Then tell a stranger. Then tell a reporter.