CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-17-2006, 02:08 AM   #11
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:
depending on your grip?!?!?! :wtf: work your grip man!!! farmers walks are great. bar hangs would be awesome too. try those after a workout.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:14 AM   #12
Chris Forbis

Profile:
To add to what Russ said, start from an inverted hang and slowly lower into the front lever. Sets of those will destroy you (in a good way).
Old 08-17-2006, 05:47 AM   #13
Michael Stehle

Profile:
Those are all great ideas. I experimented with density pull ups w/weight and had some success. Pick a goal # like 50, start conservatvely and do 3 reps on the min for 17 sets=51 pull ups in 17 minutes. As that gets easy, raise the reps and decrease the time. This works well and doesn't beat you up too badly.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:46 AM   #14
Aushion Chatman

Profile:
Agree with Jason, especially if you are kipping, limiting factor could be grip strength,... we've actually been discussing this alot at CFSD lately. Don't neglect grip work.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:06 AM   #15
William Hunter

Profile:
I interpreted his comment on grip to be related to which grip he used for pu's, not grip failure. Maybe he'll clear that up for us.

Anywhoo, all good ideas. Variety is the key. One thing that I don't think has been mentioned is something that Coach Summer has talked about: top pullup position static hangs. I work these in on what I call my Static Days, with planche/lever/l-sit, handstands etc. 1-2 cummulative minutes with each hold. A nice change of pace WOD.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:36 PM   #16
Reed Rediger

Profile:
By "depending on grip" I meant by the positioning of my hands, not grip failure (sorry for the vague discription). Thanks for all the ideas! Now all I have to do is give'em a try... and build a higher pullup bar so my feet can't touch the ground. Thanks again
Old 08-17-2006, 01:05 PM   #17
Kevin Burns

Profile:
chinups: http://www.mikesgym.org/articles/upl...nUpArticle.doc

Old 08-18-2006, 03:52 AM   #18
Aushion Chatman

Profile:
Reed,

I understood what you meant by positioning of hands for "depending on grip"...

Doesn't change what I meant by grip STRENGTH often being a limiting factor in how many pull-ups you can do in a row.

Just saying along with all the other suggestions above...increasing your grip strength (see clubbells, plier pull-ups, fat kb farmer walks, etc) can go a long way.

Aush
Old 08-18-2006, 04:57 AM   #19
Peter Queen

Profile:
The stronger the grip, the higher the reps.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:45 AM   #20
Rob Hawthorne

Profile:  
THE LADDER METHOD

For your first set, perform half your max number of pullups. (For example, if you can do 10, perform only five. Rest 30 seconds, then perform one more rep than you did in your last set (in this example, six). Continue resting and adding a rep in this fashion until you can no longer perform a full pullup with good form. At that point, go back down the "ladder" by performing one less rep than you did on your last set, resting the same time between sets. Continue until you're back at the number of reps you did on the very first set. Do this twice a week. In each succeeding week, try to do one more rep on the set you got the most reps with going up the ladder. When you reach your max number of reps in this fashion (in this example, 10), complete your next workout with a 10-pound weight attached to your waist.