CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-27-2009, 07:48 AM   #151
Ryan Spencer

Profile:
Re: CFSB - Ask your questions here!

Thanks Bingo
Old 02-27-2009, 09:18 AM   #152
Darrell E. White

Profile:

OK Ryan and Wade, here we go!

In comparison with many of the CFSB CTD's my goals for CFSB involve improving my MP WOD performance; I am not all that interested in strength for strength's sake as my overall strength is off-the-charts increased at 49 just from MP WOD's. I am also old, fragile, and time-challenged. Jeff and I worked out a general format to account for all of this.

Basically on Tuesdays and Fridays I did a CFSB workout. Each CFSB "b" workout involved a heavy, short met-con. Some days had a lift and others did not. I had/have a couple of bum shoulders. In the beginning of my CFSB I couldn't hold a bar on my shoulder for back squats, so we just didn't do them. My goals were geared toward WOD's, and front squats are much more relevant, so we did lots of those. The original CFSB is a very Deadlift-centric program. EVERYTHING is better with a bigger DL. We did lots of those. With lousy, injured shoulders I will never achieve the level of success with SP as the other CTD's; most of the shoulder work was done in the heavy met-cons.

Almost every one of the CTD''s had to take some time off for one reason or another (no real injuries, though). Everyone found that they could just jump back in and start up where they left off. Drawing out the program over 12 weeks instead of 6 seems to provide the same amount of improvement, it just naturally takes longer.

Don't double up on lifts. Do one day's protocol. It's enough. Don't do DL and something else, or SP and something else. Relax. Take your time. The on-ramp is long. CFSB works as it is written in the article, but the principles can be applied in a number of individual ways. It's CrossFit; it's STILL you vs.you.

Hope that helps.

--bingo
Old 02-27-2009, 09:27 AM   #153
Ryan Spencer

Profile:

That helps a lot Bingo, thanks! You guys have opened my eyes to a lot of new ideas. I hope your times continue to improve.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:23 AM   #154
Antun Karlovac

Profile:

Should I be aiming to have every scheduled metcon during the CFSB program be a "typical" metcon workout. By "typical" metcon, I mean a combination of exercises that gets my heart rate up alongside a lift and possibly one other exercise?

Specifically, how have people incorporated running into CFSB. Normally, a run would come up at least once in a 6-week cycle of main page WODs. Occasionally, I do a run as a warm-up too. But with fairly packed agenda of CFSB, there's really not much room to squeeze in a 5k. Have people been doing a run as one of the CFSB-posted metcons?

-Antun
Old 02-28-2009, 07:17 AM   #155
Darrell E. White

Profile:

Antun:

All of my runs have been distances of 800M or less, usually 200M to maximize the sprint. I occasionally did a 5K on a Monday if I needed a workout on that day and couldn't do any upper body work. Wednesday is a longer met-con day if I remember correctly. Why not run then?

--bingo
Old 02-28-2009, 09:12 AM   #156
Wade Smith

Profile:

Thanks, Bingo. Makes sense.

Probably a lot of guys, like me, who need to modify CFSB training schedule to fit "real world" lives and/or affiliate gym programming.

Thanks again.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:36 AM   #157
Antun Karlovac

Profile:

I see. So the recommendation is to avoid longer runs during CFSB. I suppose 4 * 400 would make a good <10min workout.

-Antun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell E. White View Post
All of my runs have been distances of 800M or less, usually 200M to maximize the sprint.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:41 AM   #158
Darrell E. White

Profile:

Or do a long run on a Wednesday, the long met-con day.

There are no rules, only guidelines. CFSB is like all of Crossfit -> it belongs to YOU. It's you vs. you. If you like long runs throw one in. You are supposed to enjoy this!
Old 02-28-2009, 09:03 PM   #159
Murray Birch

Profile:

Kempie, thanks for starting this thread, it's proven to be an informative read.

My press has improved much slower than my squats and deadlifts since I started CF about a year ago. I would really like to bring my press up and was wondering if it would come along faster if it was put earlier in the week when the body is a bit fresher. I thought about switching it with either the deadlift day or the metcon day. Any thoughts?
Old 02-28-2009, 09:38 PM   #160
Jeff Martin

Profile:

Murray,
Why don't you drop in sometime. Your like 20 minutes away.