CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-17-2009, 04:52 PM   #91
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: CFSB - Ask your questions here!

Chris,

You said that you will be doing 305 for the 3x3 deadlifts? The sets are supposed to be ascending, not across, so do you mean you will start at 305?

I did 315, 345 and 365 for 3 and then used 225 for my 15-20 and got 15 using double over hand. But then again I've been doing very little metcon (okay none) so your's might be a little higher % of your max.

THe 225 beat me pretty good, I felt similar to how I feel after a 20 rep squat. ANd yes, they were all dead lifts, no bouncing.

DOes that help?
Old 02-17-2009, 04:57 PM   #92
Chris Walls

Profile:

Sure does. I will be doing straight sets of the 3x3 as it fits into what I was already doing with my deadlifts. I'm starting to wonder if I'll be able to keep recovering with all this new stuff I keep adding in... 100 day burpee challenge (day 40), doing 3x3 deadlifts 4-5 times a week (started at 70% 1RM, adding 15# per week), and now working in some CFSB stuff... Will add more food and more sleep heh.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:03 PM   #93
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

The ascending sets make me feel pretty good, no problem with recovery so far and I've been adding some stuff in (I use squat cleans to warm up the deadlift, and I do clean and press instead of just press) and I feel fresh. You may want to think about ascending sets to help recovery.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:07 PM   #94
Chris Walls

Profile:

We'll see how it goes. This was an 8 week deadlift program that I started a few weeks ago. If I have to I can split that up and continue my 3x3 in the morning and do the rest in the afternoon/evening or something. It's only a few more weeks of that anyway... and if I can maintain it, will take me from a 355 1RM to 3x3 at 385... heh. So far it's going great. The 3x3 straight sets are not 3rm, it's building up weekly with that goal in mind.

I might just have to ease into the CFSB in order to not burn myself out over the next few weeks until that deadlift scam is done.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:48 PM   #95
Chris Walls

Profile:

Well I managed 205# for 20 reps, no bouncing. Stopped and reset every rep (didn't let go, squat down and rest, stand up, etc...) double overhand.

Figured body weight was a good enough starting point. Was rough but felt great.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:53 PM   #96
Jeff Martin

Profile:

Kempie asked me to answer a couple of questions mainly regarding how the program developed, why we the exercises are in a specific order, why we didn't include Bench...etc. After reading this thread, I think I'll not answer here. The thread is a very good discussion about how to implement. If you are interested in the above email me or maybe I'll consider posting a thread on our site.

Regarding the deads and high reps. One of the things we set out to address at Brand X was a weakness in the deadlift. We used several different types of deads on our high reps:
1. Individual discrete pulls - Pull, set down and stand between reps.
2. Multi rep Deadlifts - Breath and regrip between each rep
3. Tap and go - Everybody knows what these are, we don't like them, but they helped keep pushing us forward.

As a guide,
Connor pulled 345 x 3 recently, and 245 x 12 (breathe and regrip between each pull), I had someone pull 335 x 3 today and 275 x 21 (tap and go) and I pulled 415 x 3 a couple weeks ago and did 345 x 12 (12 Discrete pulls). That should give some parameters I think.

Last edited by Jeff Martin : 02-17-2009 at 09:58 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:04 PM   #97
Cormac O'Connor

Profile:

This is entirely irrelevant to this thread but ...

man, if i was Connor's age and pulling 345 for reps, I'd like to think i'd at least be outpulling my old man What does this kid have to do?!
Old 02-18-2009, 01:30 AM   #98
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Isn't Jeff 20-25 pounds bigger than Connor? Not sure about their heights. Not sure what Connor is right now but he was 150 last year and I think Jeff is 170-180.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:26 AM   #99
Chris Kemp

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Walls View Post
We'll see how it goes. This was an 8 week deadlift program that I started a few weeks ago. If I have to I can split that up and continue my 3x3 in the morning and do the rest in the afternoon/evening or something. It's only a few more weeks of that anyway... and if I can maintain it, will take me from a 355 1RM to 3x3 at 385... heh. So far it's going great. The 3x3 straight sets are not 3rm, it's building up weekly with that goal in mind.

I might just have to ease into the CFSB in order to not burn myself out over the next few weeks until that deadlift scam is done.
Seriously Chris, please reconsider starting CFSB alongside your current deadlifting cycle. Even if you have only skimmed this thread you will understand the work load involved. Hang fire on the CFSB until you are done with your deads.

Cheers, kempie
Old 02-18-2009, 06:20 AM   #100
Darrell E. White

Profile:

+1 to Kempie's suggestion Chris. I continue to be surprised by the load and by how taxing the program can be, even on cycle 4, and even with my reduced version CFSB "b".