CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-14-2006, 11:23 AM   #1
Gregory Spilson

Profile:
I recall that some time ago Robb Wolf (I think in a Performance Menu issue) had made the comment that Sledgehammer work was inferior in overall scalibility to a hammer throw. Just curious what the reasoning would be? Not saying that it's wrong, but that I don't know. I thought that part of sledge work was essentially the adaptive response to the impact, whereas there is none in a hammer throw. Thanks for any input.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:46 PM   #2
Jerry Hill

Profile:
Never saw that comment but would've liked to read it...

They seem like 2 totally different moves - I have spent zero time throwing a hammer and a wee bit using a sledge. I would say anytime you can throw something your power output is going to be much higher.

Isn't throwing a hammer a violent spin then a throw? Rotation and full extension? Hard to beat that!

Sledge work seems pretty low on the skill scale...

-jh
Old 08-15-2006, 09:23 AM   #3
Josh Brehm

Profile:
Sledge work seems pretty low on the skill scale...

Not if you're trying to be able to swing the sledge just as well with your nondominant side as you can with your dominant, and being able to do so with every type of swing there is.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:27 AM   #4
Jerry Hill

Profile:
Josh,
I love sledge work, I do it once a week, fun gpp.

"pretty low on the skill scale" as in the Crossfit model of Gymnastics and Weightlifting - Skill progression.

I'm not a hammer thrower but I would guess it involves some type of triple extension; this fits in nicely to the Crossfit model of skill progression. Being skilled in different sledge strikes is not the same animal.

I only use the overhead to ground sledge strike it seems to be the swing that I can generate the most power with - I'm not familiar with the others. When I chopped wood as a kid this was the strike we used also.

There is also the matter of 'intent' with a sledge strike, how do we know if every strike is with 'bad intention' - we would need to strike a force plate in order to know. With a throw or O-lift there is immediate feedback.

This is simply my input into Gregory's question.

In Health,
Jerry
Old 08-15-2006, 05:56 PM   #5
Josh Brehm

Profile:
Ah, my bad Jerry. Didn't realize what context you were using it in. In that case yeah, sledge work is low on the skill scale.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:09 PM   #6
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Gregory-
Was that in the piece on Multi-dimensionality? Ohh! I think it may have been that when you swing a sledge and hit a tire you really do not know how hard you are hitting the target and thus have no real gauge for power output. In the case of a hammer throw you have a pretty fair idea of power/work output because of the distance traveled (neglects flight path variables but pretty darn close).

I think this may have been when we looked at boxing/kickboxing and the difficulty in quantifying work output while hitting and kicking something. Even D-ball slams are difficult in this respect as one can loaf on the slam portion and still have a rapid cycle time.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:59 PM   #7
Gregory Spilson

Profile:
Robb-

Yes, this is the same piece that I was referencing. Makes things clearer now, thanks for the all the replies.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:55 PM   #8
Dan John

Profile:

As a hammer thrower, I cringe.

Stuff that works in teaching a neophyte a medicine ball clean is not the same as doing either the Olympic hammer or the Scottish hammer.

I'm not picking on you, Jerry, but "triple extension" is one of the terms...along with core strength...that just makes me want to vomit. I mean, I get it, but it just has this "sound" about it that I just can't stand. Once I stopped "triple extending" in the O lifts, my tech got miles better...
Old 08-17-2006, 07:26 PM   #9
Jerry Hill

Profile:
I hear ya Dan...

"Before I studied the art, a punch to me was just like a punch, a kick just like a kick. After I learned the art, a punch was no longer a punch, a kick no longer a kick. Now that I've understood the art, a punch is just like a punch, a kick just like a kick."
-Bruce Lee

...I was treading in unknown waters with the hammer throw.

Hey, any chance you know Pro Highland gamer and former strongman Steve Pulcinella? He is in the Philly area, a heck of an athlete.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:05 AM   #10
Barry Cooper

Profile:
The disadvantage to an actual hammer throw, is you need a field. You can get a good core workout just spinning it in each direction. I would think you could use a sledgehammer that way. Just don't let go!!! You could combine the two, and call it Rage-ham, although I don't know if that works as well as Rageball.