CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-16-2006, 07:48 AM   #1
Jennifer Conlin

Profile:
I have no problem getting the transition from pull up to dip. I can not get my arms to move from this point. Could I be pushing in the wrong direction? Or is it just lack of strength?http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/22/28806.jpg
Old 08-16-2006, 07:59 AM   #2
Chris Kemp

Profile:
Jennifer you lucky devil, all you need from there is a little more practice with deep, deep dips. Once you get those down there is no reason you shouldn't be looking down on the world from the exalted position above the rings.

Look forward to hearing all about your first muscle-up very soon.

Cheers, kempie
Old 08-16-2006, 08:06 AM   #3
Roger Harrell

Profile:
You've gotten through the hard part. Just work a bunch of ring dips and you'll get that last part easy. As Chris said, do em deep.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:59 AM   #4
Jennifer Conlin

Profile:
Ok, thanks guys! That was the plan... deep dips.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:34 AM   #5
Jerry Hill

Profile:
Jeez Jen that is soooo close!

So in the transition you are kind of resting on top of the rings then able to press up this high?

Traditionally the bottom part of the dip is where you would get stuck. Can you do a regular ring dip?

re: wrong direction:
From the bottom of the dip think about driving your head back and pushing your bicep forward...this may change your COG enough to lock that baby out.

Definitely practice some dead-stop dips. Drop in real deep, pause for 2-3 seconds then explode to lock-out.

Also since your sticking point in the dip is where your triceps take over, I would have you do some mid-range work. Static holds (3-5 sec) at sticking point or a bit below then explode to lockout, repeat. Finally to finish it off a plain static hold for time right in that mid-range problem area.

Sounded like you wanted some stuff to work on...hope that helps,
Jerry

PS.
On a totally different approach:
While in the moment of moving if I concentrate too hard on a portion of a movement or try too hard to engage a certain 'muscle group' I tend to lose momentum and energy. I really am at my best when I think 'constant flow of energy'. I am simply a ball of energy moving through space...think beyond the sticking point, beyond lock-out, beyond resistance. Since most movement is vertical I'll envision a white light of energy flowing out of the top of my head to the ceiling or sky.

geez, hope I didn't lose ya there...
Old 08-16-2006, 11:47 AM   #6
Jennifer Conlin

Profile:
Jerry, I hear what your saying. I agree that I might be losing sight of my energy flow by keeping so step by step. It's such a process for me that I have lost that state of mind where I envision myself moving though space. Since it's such a challenging movement it's easy to become over taken by the process and lose my energy.

Yes, I can do a regular dip. Not many but I can. Ring dips are very hard and I can't get as deep as on the bars. Good to have some dip variations to work on. I'm glad I have access to Palettes! I'll keep you posted!
Old 08-16-2006, 12:29 PM   #7
Dan MacDougald

Profile:
If you can get yourself to that position, which is the really hard part, you are almost there. One dip from that position and you have it.
Try dip negatives going especially slow and deep at the bottom.