CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:16 PM   #1
Scott Shirley

Profile:
Similar affiliate name?

We are about 1 month away from sending in our affiliate application. We are wanting to name our box after our city... Decatur CrossFit. However, another box already has CrossFit Decatur (Decatur, GA). We assume we would not be granted Decatur CrossFit.

So we've thought about trying Decatur City CrossFit. Does anyone have any input on how dissimilar the name has to be from other affiliates? We are hoping to avoid any approval delays by avoiding names unlikely to be approved.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:08 PM   #2
Tom Taylor

Profile:
Re: Similar affiliate name?

I would email affiliate support and asks them how they are handling this situation. I'm sure with the growth of CF this is a fairly common situation. I know when we first affiliated using state names was fine based on the number of affiliates at this point I would say geography and proximity of potential affiliates has prompted some procedures/ guidelines for this scenario.

Good luck with the name and the affiliate.

Tom
Old 03-14-2012, 07:43 AM   #3
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Any name you submit will be approved or denied quickly.

They don't do similar names. I know my gym is in Glendale, AZ and next to Peoria, AZ. We are in what is referred to as Phoenix's West Valley. So here was my problem:

Glendale taken by Glendale, CA
Peoria taken by Peoria, IL
West Valley taken by West Valley CrossFit in Tracy, CA

So I opened as CrossFit Fortis and then latter talked/bribed the new owner of West Valley CrossFit to change the name of his gym to CrossFit Tracy and I scooped up the CrossFit West Valley name.

I would suggest state thinking about other geographically descriptive names that are not taken. Good luck the naming thing is a pain in the ......
Old 03-14-2012, 08:07 AM   #4
Jeff Yan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post
So I opened as CrossFit Fortis and then latter talked/bribed the new owner of West Valley CrossFit to change the name of his gym to CrossFit Tracy and I scooped up the CrossFit West Valley name.
Well played. "CrossFit Tracy" sounds so girly!
Old 03-14-2012, 09:43 PM   #5
Ron Murray

Profile:

when we first submitted our application for approval our name was denied. Dave Lipson's original affiliate gym was named CrossFit Exodus, we were set to call our affiliate CrossFit Xodus. HQ said, ugh no. We thought it rather odd considering the difference in spelling but I guess phonetically there is no way to differentiate. The really sad thing is that Dave's affiliate was closed down at that point from my understanding.

egh.

bottom line is to e-mail them.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:11 PM   #6
Steven Bowser

Profile:

You really want to Brand yourself with a totally different name to put yourself in your own bracket. Just be creative and find a much much different name.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:49 AM   #7
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Yan View Post
Well played. "CrossFit Tracy" sounds so girly!
My understanding is Tracy is a nice neighborhood outside Sacramento, CA..

Don't know why the first owner wouldn't have called the gym CrossFit Tracy as that is the best name.

If possible geographically descriptive names are the best for attracting new members.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:22 AM   #8
Ryan Younger

Profile:

We (Tyler, Texas) have a box that has been opened about a year now named "CrossFit Tyler" and a few months ago had another one that affiliated and named their box "CrossFit South Tyler." I haven't been to one of the boxes but I don't think there will be any issues with losing members due to the closeness of the names but I do believe it's kind of chicken sh*t to have done that just for the simple fact of people can get confused.