CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-12-2004, 04:36 PM   #1
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
I am looking for some more agility on my feet. When kickboxing I can sometimes feel slow, and I have a hard time chasing around some of the smaller fighters.

What workouts would be good to increase my start/stop speeds as well as make me more manuverable?
Old 07-13-2004, 03:31 AM   #2
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Jeremy, dot drills, agility ladders, and a solid base of footwork drills should help. The WOD will make you more explosive. Go to the library and take out a football training book or an agility training book, you should find more than enough drills. Use these drills as a warmup, prior to the WOD. I almost forgot the most basic footwork drill: jumprope. Three minute rounds mix up the patterns. John Davies wrote a great article on T-Nation.com on Jumprope training for agility.
Old 07-13-2004, 12:52 PM   #3
Michael Rutherford

Profile:
Jeremey- Quickness is developed by reacting to a stimulus. This would be sight, sound or pressure. I like to integrate tennis balls into quickness drills. You need to react to the sight of the ball. Find a partner, a wall and develop your own game. Do some drills where you start with your back to the wall. On command you partner tells to turn and find a ball rebounding from the wall. There are multiple variations. You can put in that agility ladder and move in that while going to get the rebounding ball.

If you don’t have a partner or you feel adventurous use the INSANE ball from Speed City.
http://www.speedcity.com/Catalog/Other-Sports/Equipment/Lateral-Speed/Item/469/N -Sane+Ball
Old 07-14-2004, 09:02 AM   #4
Ron Nelson

Profile:
My daughter has used a version of this called the "loco ball" for years as a softball fielding drill. Keeps the player on her toes and develops "soft hands" for fielding. Now, my younger kids just like to chase it around the yard. I highly recommend one. They're cheap and fun.
Old 07-15-2004, 11:04 AM   #5
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
I guess I could get a chicken from chinatown and pretend I am Rocky. . . :biggrin:

I plan on starting the jump rope routines today. That was a great article btw.

What are "Dot" drills? I have never heard of these before.
Old 07-15-2004, 11:38 AM   #6
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Dot drills are performed on a mat, divided into 4 squares with a white dot in the center of each square. The idea is to hop to each dot as quickly as possible (although I'm really oversimplifying for sake of brevity) either in pairs, diagonally, or in a clockwise/counterclockwise pattern. For a more complete explanation, check out Jumping Into Plyometrics by Donald Chu or any other books on building speed, agility, and quickness. I found that if you look up Chu's book on Amazon, the others come up as recommended titles.
Good luck!
Old 07-16-2004, 01:01 AM   #7
Gordon Richmond

Profile:
Is a loco ball one of those balls with the nubs on it that make it bounce in crazy directions? In any case, where do you think you could get one?
Old 07-16-2004, 04:48 AM   #8
Tanner Kolb

Profile:
Gordon, if it is what im thinking of, i got a few for the camp i teach at the pet store.
Old 07-16-2004, 09:50 AM   #9
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Sorry I can't find the site where I purchased mine (actually it was through my daughter's coach, Gerry Mauro and his equipment sales). You might try following Michael's link above as that ball looks a lot like the one I have, except it's a nicer color!