CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-02-2005, 01:30 PM   #1
James Falkner

Profile:
All,

I recently started working the kipping pullup a bit more and can now crank out 5 or 7. Problem is, the way my pullup bar is constructed, the bar rotates within its housing. I think this is contributing to my inability to do more kipping pullups. On the down-swing part, my bodyweight imparts a lot more tension in my arms due to the angular velocity of my body around the bar. In other words, I get a pretty good swing going. Anyway, I find that on rep 3 or 4 the bar starts rotating causing me to slip to just my fingertips being gripped on the bar, and eventually not being able to hold on with just a small amount of finger on bar, and I have to drop off and restart. I am betting that if the bar was unable to rotate in its housing, that I would maintain more of my palm around the bar (and only slip when my calluses gave out).

Question is, should I:

1. wedge something in the hole to stop the bar from rotating, or
2. Try a different grip (maybe a hook grip?), or
3. Just deal with it and watch my grip strength get better, and get popeye-like forearms?

I want to do more pullups, not get better grip strength or thick forearms. What should I do?
Old 12-02-2005, 04:03 PM   #2
Jesse Woody

Profile:
I'd go with option three. You can't have too much grip strength! :D
Old 12-04-2005, 07:55 AM   #3
Jeremy Bloniasz

Profile:
One of my bars, the thicker one (which I prefer), is only fastenened on one side by a u-bolt. The other side is just kind of sitting on the rafter between two other boards. Needless to say it spins and hops out of place from time to time. I just try to adjust my grip on the fly if I can. I kind of attack it with the mindset that if I can do x amount on a bar that fights back, I'll be that much better on a bar that doesn't. I got 47 pullups on the bar going for 50 for Eugenes birthday and it was my 3rd go at the challenge that day. My grip is what failed me due to the bar spinning and what not(I tell myself this so I can sleep at night). My advise is to go with option 3 and every once in a while wedge something in there to steady the bar and see what you can do. I definately don't have Popeye forearms and they would definately stick out on my spaghetti arms if I did. Let us know what you do and the difference it makes for you.

Jeremy
Old 12-05-2005, 04:24 AM   #4
Adrian Frankling

Profile:
james, try a hook grip. it takes a lot of the grip problems out, but can leave you with a sore thumb. my bar sits in 2 d rings so it gets a fair spin going and this is the only way i can do any sort of rep scheme without my grip dying
Old 12-06-2005, 06:23 AM   #5
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Get a second bar that doesn't rotate and sometimes use that one and sometimes use the rotating.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:09 PM   #6
Josh Wayne

Profile:  
just grip the bar tight and strengthen your forearms. like Pavel Tsatsouline always says "grip the bar like you want to crush it into powder"

by the way, my bar rotates too and I love it. my grip has greatly improved from it and none of my friends want to play Mercy with me anymore