CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-23-2009, 01:04 PM   #1
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:
Typical new Guy Question... (sorry)

Hello to all of you CF'ers out there. This community has proven to be an immense time-sink for developing my routines... man is there a lot of information! I love it.

A quick bio: 27/m/5'9"/187/ probably ~20lbs overweight. I was as high as 205 fairly recently, and have been doing P90X workouts in my basement to help lose weight, and have greatly improved my diet (partly thanks to a weight loss competition going on at my office) which is pretty close to the "paleo" style of diet which is much talked about on here. I used to be a high school athlete, playing soccer... but that was 10 yrs ago. My generic build is wide shoulders, big chest... and all fat goes to my gut ha!

I love the idea of crossfit, and the forums have become an obsession of mine lately.

On to the actual questions:
1. I cannot do the WOD's as RX'ed, as I'm sure most new people are. Beginning the program, should I just work on scaling the WOD's so that I can actually finish them? I tried Fran this morning with 30lb dumbbells, and chair assist pullups, and I couldn't make it through 21 thrusters for the first set. Is it super common to do like 7 reps, have to rest, do 5 reps, rest, etc..?

2. With all of the explosive moves (for time) WOD's, do most people do workouts in the mornings? I feel like working out in the morning with no food in you, is a recipe for bonking. At the same time, I wouldn't want to eat an omelet only to find that pukie has visited me 20mins later during my WOD. I've searched a bit about this, but was curious.

Sorry for the long post. I'm thinking of investing in an Oly bar, and some bumper plates in the near future to start the olympic lifts, even though I'm pretty sure my strength is lacking (see my earlier comment on attempting Fran). Thanks for being such a great community guys!

-Bo
Old 02-23-2009, 01:15 PM   #2
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:
Re: Typical new Guy Question... (sorry)

You can absolutely break up the sets - look at a workout like Angie, which has 100 consecutive pull-ups - I'd wager that almost nobody can do that without dropping from the bar. When doing a more pure strength-oriented day like "Front squat 3-3-3-3-3-3", strive to do the highest weight that you can get up three times.

Definitely get an olympic bar, gymnastics rings, a pull-up bar, and a jump rope, and mark out a 400m running route for yourself (use googlemaps' pedometer function). 16", 20" and 24" Boxes, a medicine ball, a C2 rower, and various sundries will round out the gym when you have more time and money to invest in it.

Finally, good work on eating well - it will help you adjust to the stress of high-intensity exercise a little bit more quickly. Welcome to the community.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:22 PM   #3
Justin Ellsworth

Profile:

1. I cannot do the WOD's as RX'ed, as I'm sure most new people are. Beginning the program, should I just work on scaling the WOD's so that I can actually finish them? I tried Fran this morning with 30lb dumbbells, and chair assist pullups, and I couldn't make it through 21 thrusters for the first set. Is it super common to do like 7 reps, have to rest, do 5 reps, rest, etc..?

http://www.CrossFitbrandx.com/index.php/forums/viewforum/16/?f=16&sid=74059d7b82f8aa7e7fa9cdcec3157228

2. With all of the explosive moves (for time) WOD's, do most people do workouts in the mornings? I feel like working out in the morning with no food in you, is a recipe for bonking. At the same time, I wouldn't want to eat an omelet only to find that pukie has visited me 20mins later during my WOD. I've searched a bit about this, but was curious.

Really personal preference here. There are those that love the feel of getting up very early and knocking out a WOD before work. On the flip side, there are those who would rather be punched in the face

Bottom line - work out when it's convenient for you.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:24 PM   #4
Greg Bindon

Profile:

Hi Bo,

Checkout the BrandX website for suggestions on scaling. You'll find a link to their website under the "Start Here" menu on the main crossfit page.

Resting within a set in order to complete? Absolutely, break up a set into as many pieces as you need in order to complete. Eg in a workout where you are required to do 50 ring dips, by the time you are half way you might be doing one at a time!! You are racing against the clock so you'll be trying to keep these rests short. The fitter you become the less you'll need to break up the sets.

I workout in the morning on an empty stomach because it is convenient for me. It's not ideal but I'm making good progress.

Invest in those plates and bar, they are what is going to help you achieve your strength goals.

Good luck.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:25 PM   #5
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

I figured as much. I also just thought I was ridiculously out of shape (well I am). As a challenge for me and a workmate, we wanted to do 40 burpees for time.... well, i got to 15, started slowing significantly, and got to 20 and nearly keeled over. heh.

As for workout equipment, I have a doorway pullup bar that rests on the molding (so, no kipping), and I currently have a set of PowerBlock dumbbells which are pretty sweet for now. I am a bit worried about doing any overhead Olympic lifts, because I'm in a basement, and the drop ceiling I can almost touch without jumping. I might have to re-evaluate the drop ceiling... and rip some of it out for my workout area.

Also, sadly, the basement of my townhouse is just about the only good place I can set up a gym... which makes any workout with running very hard. I'd have to run upstairts, and down my little walkway before getting to a sidewalk or pavement to sprint on. I don't have a treadmill... and at this point I don't want to spend the $1000 to get one... yet. I have more that enough discretionary funds, but it's tough telling the wife "Hey, I'm going to spend $600 on weights, $800 on a rower, $1000 on a treadmill..." You get the picture.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:04 PM   #6
S.S.

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence R Boland III View Post
I'd have to run upstairts, and down my little walkway before getting to a sidewalk or pavement to sprint on.
Go for it. Your sprints won't be official but running up stairs and through walkways adds a little bit of extra balance and coordination to the WOD, and that's a good thing.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:25 PM   #7
J

Profile:

What Shane said. Treadmills suck.

Also, if you can't put heavy **** overhead in the place you work out... Then you need to find another place to work out. Simple as that.

Last edited by J; 02-23-2009 at 03:27 PM..
Old 02-23-2009, 05:43 PM   #8
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Júlíus Magnússon View Post
Also, if you can't put heavy **** overhead in the place you work out... Then you need to find another place to work out. Simple as that.
Well, we bought this townhouse last year... and we pretty much hated only 1 thing about the place: The drop ceiling in the basement. Its old, stained, and drooping. In the laundry room part of the basement, there is no drop ceiling, and its much higher than where where is the drop ceiling. I'm hoping that when I tear it out, I can make it a foot higher. That would give me enough clearance I think for a barbell overhead.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:13 AM   #9
Alex Europa

Profile:

Lots of good answers so far...

99% of the CrossFit WODs aren't long enough to cause you to bonk. But when you train is an entirely personal thing. Just don't be affraid to try different things (i.e.: your personal version of the Black Box).

What about heading over to a local CrossFit affiliate (there are like a bajillion in your area)? You can't even begin to imagine how different it is to train with a group than by yourself. Not to mention how much faster/better your progress with be with a trained eye watching over you.

- Alex

Last edited by Alex Europa; 02-25-2009 at 04:16 AM..
Old 02-25-2009, 01:22 PM   #10
Ryan Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence R Boland III View Post
I figured as much. I also just thought I was ridiculously out of shape (well I am). As a challenge for me and a workmate, we wanted to do 40 burpees for time.... well, i got to 15, started slowing significantly, and got to 20 and nearly keeled over. heh.
You can break up sets and take as long as you like, thats what the stopwatch is for. You'll know next time you do the workout if you took less breaks and/or did the exercise faster based on the stopwatch. Just finish the workout and record your time. I've done a 100 burpees for time WOD and for the majority of it I was doing sets of 5 with 5-10 deep breaths betwen, but by the end I was doing sets of 2-3 with however much rest I needed in between. I also suggest you stop a couple reps before failure when breaking up sets, if you go all the way to failure you'll burn out faster. So if you can do 10 burpees in a row, but have to do 100, I would stop before I got to 10, rest a bit, repeat. No point sprinting to 10,11, or 12 reps and then realizing 'holy crap I have 90 more to go but I'm dead already.' No shame in taking a long time to finish, just finish, write down your time, and feel the glow when next time you do it faster.

Remember you're only competing against yourself, and the first time you do any workout, no matter how poorly you think you did, you just set a PR.