CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 09-26-2007, 12:30 AM   #1
Derek Maffett

Profile:
Scapula

I was doing some kettlebell work today, not a serious workout or anything, just testing the new bell. I felt a pain around the scapula, in the left upper back. I don't think it was too much an issue, but it brings me back to a question I asked about the original injury some time back.

The original injury was sustained deadlifting with almost assuredly bad form. I don't get the kind of pain I used to, but I notice that I get some pain or such from pulling the scapula forward, though the other side is just fine with it. Pulling the scapula back and compressing it (like in pulling your arm back behind you and sort of pulling the elbow in across the back) has seemed to help, despite some discomfort with the motion.

My theory: the deadlift pulled the scapula forward and hurt some muscle in the upper back and it has healed at least for the most part.

Does anyone have any other theories or a better identification of what might have happened if my theory is correct? Furthermore, what might the problem still be and how would I go about repairing it? I thought that it might be a somewhat diminished range of motion at the injury spot, but I don't know.

Thanks.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:27 AM   #2
Nicholas Hahn

Profile:
Re: Scapula

Do you have any trigger points around the scapula? Like in the rhomboids or trapezius area? If I were you, I'd get a massage. And try and loosen up the muscles back there.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:07 PM   #3
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Trigger points?
Old 10-05-2007, 01:27 PM   #4
Nicholas Hahn

Profile:

I suppose you would call them "knots" or something like that. Essentially they are points in your muscle where there is a spasm, or as Wikipdiea puts it, "hyperirritable spots in skeletal muscle that are associated with palpable nodules in taut bands of muscle fibers."

I'm only saying to look into it, because I'm getting over an injury and I got a massage and was surprised at the increased mobility after the masseur worked on the trigger point for a while.

The trigger point was moving my scapula in the wrong direction, which was causing me pain. I think the proper term is scapular diskynesis.After the trigger point was massaged, my scapula seemed to be in less pain, as was my shoulder in general.

I also went to a chiropractor who explained to me that my levator muscle might have been simultaneously pulling on my vertebrae and on my scapula, due to tightening. Look into it and good luck. It seems like when you screw up your shoulders, it is hard to get it right again.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:08 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

Eh, sounds like your serratus anterior needs some work. I was deadlifting a lot over the summer and I got near the same problem.

Check out number #2 from the 1st of 3 shoulder savers articles by Eric Cressey (umm not w/f safe.. it's t-nation with sometimes scantily clad women...):

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1053531

Scapular pushups and scapular DB raises. Those helped me out a bunch as well as deep tissue massage. If you can get some ART that always work too.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:56 PM   #6
Christine Reinhart

Profile:

I agree with what Nicholas has posted. This week I pulled a muscle in the scapula region (right upper back) when working on shoulder press, push press, and push jerks all in the same day (sorry I can't be more specific about the affected muscle). After having 2 chiropractic treatments and 1 massage throughout the week, the area feels significantly better. My massage therapist really concentrated on the area for me, and it has made a world of difference. If you can afford it, I would highly recommend both types of treatment, as they compliment each other very well in terms of helping your body to function at its best, without having to resort to 'quick-fix' pharmacueticals that temporarily mask the underlying problem...but that's just my opinion.