CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 08-16-2005, 05:13 AM   #1
bill fox

Profile:

Went to the 2 day Naked Warrior seminar put on by Pavel and Steve Maxwell this weekend in beautiful 100/100 (that's degrees and humidity) Philly. The seminar, in finest Russian tradition, was held in maxercise's un-air conditioned Jujitsu dojo. 16 hours of training in 100+.

The first day dealt with generating tesion in the body to create greater strength. Person after person did their first pistol, first one arm pushup, first weighted pullup. A cool training technique is to grip an Ironmind gripper you can close (they just started making some easier ones)while doing a pistol or overhead press. The gripper creates tension and irradiation for you and you can "feel" what you're trying to do. I did a 126lb pullup and missed 144lbs by an inch after going through these techniques. Pavel went through dozens of drills to help feel the "zipping up" of the leakages in the body.

The second day focused more on variety. Maxwell did a 1 1/2 hr joint mobilty "warm up" proving it can easily stand as a stand alone workout. A mixture of russian, yoga, Sonnon, MA, Iranian etc...the guys an encyclopedia. He also did progressively more complex variations of BW sqauts and pushups. Pavel went deep into the handstand pushup, walking across the wall and doing a one arm support.

Of particuler interest here was discussion of applying tension techniques to high rep sets. A DEA agent did a nice set of 21 tacticals (this was 12 hours into the weekend) starting by only applying tension at the very start of the pull and adding techniques as the set went on. A marine did a set of 64 pushups doing the same thing.

Maxwell then demonstrated the latest version of the "Maxercist". Stand under a pullup bar. Slowly do a butt to floor squat and roll backward touching your feet to the floor (deck sqaut)roll foward to your feet and jump back into a pushup (he actually does a screw pushup)jump into a sqaut and jump onto the bar and do a hip pullover dropping off right back into a deck sqaut and so on. One of the black belts did 60 straight in 20 minutes.

More so then the RKC, CFers, who do so much bodyweight work, high rep, gymnastic and weighted, might really like this seminar (which i know they plan on doing again in other locations). The knowledge of how to wire the body for strength and prevent it from breaking down was tremendous.

Bill
Old 08-16-2005, 08:03 AM   #2
Mike Burgener

Profile:
several years ago i saw a young pocket hercules, at 16 or 17 i think, tense the whole body before a snatch. unreal!!
Old 08-16-2005, 10:07 AM   #3
Joshua F Hillis

Profile:
I'm soooo jealous. Couple questions:

Two questions about the new Maxercist:

1.) The screw pushup - is that the Irani wrestler's pushup Maxwell does? If not, what is it?

2.) Hip pullover - is that the thing at the end of Naked Warrior guide to hanging leg raises?
Old 08-16-2005, 11:48 AM   #4
bill fox

Profile:

Screw pushup - hard to describe. From the top you roll down your forearm till you're leaning on your elbow on the right side, (other hand doesn't move), then put that shoulder right on that hand, so now you're almost on your side except your keeping your hip up, other hand still hasn't moved so the left arm is now almost straight. You "roll" back up to plank, then do the other side -1 rep.

I'm not sure what you mean by the NW "guide to HLR" Basically you throw yourself backward rolling your hips over the bar.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:10 PM   #5
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Bill, very cool...thanks for the info (I'm going to try the Iromind gripper idea next max lift day).
Old 08-21-2005, 08:45 AM   #6
robert verdell

Profile:  
Those "Screwing push-ups" are in Maximology by Scott Sonnon. Steve mentions it here in an article he did a couple years ago.

http://www.circularstrengthmag.com/17/maxwell2.html
Old 08-21-2005, 05:34 PM   #7
bill fox

Profile:

Yup.

Scott was given credit at the seminar as well. Nothing new under the sun Robert.