CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2013, 08:16 PM   #11
Brian Strump
Affiliate Brian Strump is offline
 
Brian Strump's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charlotte  NC
Posts: 2,619
Re: golfers elbow/medial epicondylitis: What can/should/shouldn't I do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Gelinas View Post
Jeff:

I would love to hear what you find out. I have been in the same boat as you since last fall, and I have been trying to figure out the answer to the same questions myself. I believe every case must be different, so it may take some trial and error.

But hopefully there is a list of "safe" exercises for medial epicondylitis/osis.

Best of luck to you during your rehab.
Since last fall? Really? Have you done anything about it? Doesn't sound like it.

I can't say it enough, the site of pain is rarely the site of dysfunction.

If you don't look to the shoulder, you'll probably miss the fix 80% of the time.
__________________
Brian Strump, D.C., FMS, NKT
www.crossfitsteelecreek.com/
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:32 PM   #12
Megan Zetter
Member Megan Zetter is offline
 
Megan Zetter's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Portland  OR
Posts: 204
Re: golfers elbow/medial epicondylitis: What can/should/shouldn't I do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
Since last fall? Really? Have you done anything about it? Doesn't sound like it.

I can't say it enough, the site of pain is rarely the site of dysfunction.

If you don't look to the shoulder, you'll probably miss the fix 80% of the time.
I could not agree with Brian anymore. Another thought is, is it coming from your neck? Referral from a disc issue? Either way, you HAVE to look upstream, and sometimes down. The site of pain is rarely the true pain generator. Acute injury, such as an ankle sprain, yes, but overuse, no.
__________________
Chiropractic physician
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:32 AM   #13
Jeff Yan
Member Jeff Yan is offline
 
Jeff Yan's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New York City  New York
Posts: 869
Re: golfers elbow/medial epicondylitis: What can/should/shouldn't I do?

I believe I heard somewhere that:
lack of shoulder internal rotation can contribute to lateral epicondylitis
lack of shoulder external rotation can contribute to medial epicondylitis

If anybody can expand on that, that would be helpful.

Regarding my wrist rotation, I've been striving to achieve symmetrical amounts of supination. The side that had been affected earlier and for longer duration seemed to be missing some ROM. Not sure if this is from built-up scar tissue from an old sports-related impact injury or if it's due to being on my non-dominant side.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:58 AM   #14
Brian Strump
Affiliate Brian Strump is offline
 
Brian Strump's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charlotte  NC
Posts: 2,619
Re: golfers elbow/medial epicondylitis: What can/should/shouldn't I do?

Lack of mobility at some joint, can lead to repetitive strain an another joint. Depending on what you do most of the day, it could be from the wrist too. Or maybe decreased thoracic spine rotation, etc.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Yan View Post
I believe I heard somewhere that:
lack of shoulder internal rotation can contribute to lateral epicondylitis
lack of shoulder external rotation can contribute to medial epicondylitis

If anybody can expand on that, that would be helpful.

Regarding my wrist rotation, I've been striving to achieve symmetrical amounts of supination. The side that had been affected earlier and for longer duration seemed to be missing some ROM. Not sure if this is from built-up scar tissue from an old sports-related impact injury or if it's due to being on my non-dominant side.
__________________
Brian Strump, D.C., FMS, NKT
www.crossfitsteelecreek.com/
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:09 PM   #15
Patrick Gelinas
Member Patrick Gelinas is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Aiken  SC
Posts: 15
Re: golfers elbow/medial epicondylitis: What can/should/shouldn't I do?

Thanks, Megan & Brian.

Yes, since last October, actually. On the recommendations of my orthopedist, I ceased any activities that hurt (of course), and proceded with anything that didn't hurt. The things that hurt: Olympic lifts, pullups, and pretty much any resisted elbow flexion. Burpees, pushups, double-unders didn't hurt. By December, nothing had improved, despite lots of visits to the athletic trainer at the university where I teach (for ultrasound, mainly). Plus, daily sesssions on my own, of heat, cross friction massage, mobility work, VooDoo band, and forearm eccentrics with a light dumbbell (3-5 lbs). I eventually received a cortisone shot and this relieved the point pressure pain for about three weeks but the pain eventually returned.

I was thoroughly evaluated by the university's head athletic trainer and also the SS&C coach and apparently my neck, wrist, shoulder, and elbow mobility are excellent on both sides, as are my lifting mechanics. Having previously been a strength coach myself (and having never been injured badly in my 30+ year athletic career) I was pretty sure that my movements were pretty fluid and efficient.

I have been under the impression that this injury could easily take 6 months to fully heal, so I am prepared to endure this. I do not want to avoid movement at the elbow altogether (including the eccentrics), but perhaps even the eccentrics are aggravating it (?). Currently, all I am doing are movements/WODs that don't involve my arms. Lots of box jumps, pistols, running, YTWLs, hip extensions, and sit-ups.

Steve Low and others have been helpful with recommendations. Maybe one day something will suddenly "click".

A point of confusion for me regards the load for the eccentric forearm work: the evidence-based medical literature is split between using heavy dumbbells and light ones. Hard to know which camp to subscribe to.

Thanks for any feedback and best of luck to others working through the same issue.

I will post again when things begin to improve!
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:33 PM   #16
Richard Ney
Member Richard Ney is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Corte Madera  CA
Posts: 1
golfer's / tennis elbow, medial epicondyle

Dr. J. has an excellent writeup to help diagnose and treat "dodgy elbows"

http://www.drjuliansaunders.com/reso.../dodgy_elbows/
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:27 AM   #17
Dave Epp
Member Dave Epp is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lincoln  NE
Posts: 3
Re: golfers elbow/medial epicondylitis: What can/should/shouldn't I do?

I have battled severe chronic medial ep. (tennis elbow) for over 5 year now. I have seen 3 different doctors (surgeons) and multiple physical therapists. I have had 12 cortisone in 1 elbow alone. Basically where I'm going with this is that the only left for me to do is have surgery. Both myself and the current surgeon I trust believes this is totally the last resort.

I currently stumbled upon this product called Thera-band Flex bar. It has drastically help my pain. I started doing it 2x a day and am know down to 1x a day. I cant believe how much it has helped my elbow. I would recommend starting with the color green. I ordered both the green and blue and have now been able to move up to the blue but could have never started with it. They are a little pricey but well worth the money (I found mine on E bay ). Good luck and I hope it gets better.

Dave
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:39 AM   #18
Megan Zetter
Member Megan Zetter is offline
 
Megan Zetter's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Portland  OR
Posts: 204
Re: golfers elbow/medial epicondylitis: What can/should/shouldn't I do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Epp View Post
I have battled severe chronic medial ep. (tennis elbow) for over 5 year now. I have seen 3 different doctors (surgeons) and multiple physical therapists. I have had 12 cortisone in 1 elbow alone. Basically where I'm going with this is that the only left for me to do is have surgery. Both myself and the current surgeon I trust believes this is totally the last resort.

I currently stumbled upon this product called Thera-band Flex bar. It has drastically help my pain. I started doing it 2x a day and am know down to 1x a day. I cant believe how much it has helped my elbow. I would recommend starting with the color green. I ordered both the green and blue and have now been able to move up to the blue but could have never started with it. They are a little pricey but well worth the money (I found mine on E bay ). Good luck and I hope it gets better.

Dave
And surgery would be cheaper?
__________________
Chiropractic physician
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Elbow pain (golfers elbow??) Sean Peters Injuries 8 05-15-2013 06:16 AM
Elbow pain on pullups behind "funny bone" - medial epicondylitis? Phil Griffin Injuries 5 12-23-2012 09:01 PM
Medial Epicondylitis (golfer's elbow) Ian McLeish Injuries 17 06-20-2010 06:11 AM
Bilateral medial epicondylitis...sucks! George Shelton Injuries 2 10-27-2004 06:05 AM
Training with medial epicondylitis Bryan Wheeler Injuries 2 12-01-2003 08:30 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:58 AM.


CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.