CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-12-2012, 10:40 AM   #11
Jeff Yan

Profile:
Re: Safety spotter arms Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Pires View Post
can you dump a back squat? One time I lost it on a back squat and dumped it onto the squat rack safety arms. I don't know what would have happened if I didn't have that safety rack. I imagine it would be ugly
Unless you're not using bumpers, or if your floor somehow is sturdy enough to support your weight combined with the bar but not study enough to take a drop, I don't see what the issue would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Pires View Post
I would feel bad using the squat cage to bench but very few people uses it anyway.
I wouldn't feel bad for the exact reason you give. Even if people want to squat in it, I'd imagine the bencher's needs would take preference. A bencher who needs a spot may be in a life or death situation. A squatter who needs a spot can just drop the barbell.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:42 AM   #12
Jeff Yan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Orr View Post
I've wondered how to set up spotter arms for bench. If you set them up high enough to catch the bar without crushing your ribs, how do you touch the bar to your chest?
Set the spotter hook/rail at a height just below the top of your chest but above the height where the bar would crush your windpipe.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:50 PM   #13
Mike Gin

Profile:

What Jeff said. You can set them up so you can easily touch your chest but then slide out underneath it while it is sitting on the spotter arms. I went with the S2 vs. a rack/cage because while it has a similar footprint, without the extra uprights it takes up less space. Does that make sense? Also, I didn't want to bolt anything to the floor. I have 400+ lbs. of bumper plates on the side storage and it doesn't move at all. Kipping pullups no problem.