CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 11-09-2005, 08:29 AM   #1
Michael Homburger

Profile:
Anyone had this problem and, more importantly, any experience with rehabbing it? I've got a pain in my shoulder that manifests when I raise my arm in the motion of an overhead press. It's just my right shoulder and the pain is felt in the region starting at the top of the shoulder and down the front of the shoulder to just above the top of the bicep. I don't recall any specific event where an injury might have occurred, it just sort of appeared, like many minor pains do, but never went away. Any info on fixing it would be greatly appreciated. Going for a massage tomorrow, so maybe that will help.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:56 AM   #2
William Hunter

Profile:
Sounds like an impingement syndrome. Massage may help, but you may need an orthopod to take a look.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:31 AM   #3
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Sounds like biceps tendonitis with perhaps some other stuff going on as well, such as a impingement of the supraspinatus. Your massage therapist should be able to get a feel for which muscles are affected.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:52 AM   #4
John Walsh

Profile:
Mike,

I too had/have this problem. Massage, trigger point therapy, rotator cuff work and stretching have all worked wonders but it took awhile. I also had to ID the lifts that were giving me the probelm. In my case it was high rep BB snatches. DB snatches don't seem to bother me. Search the site under "shoulder pain" and you will find no less than 1,943 hits. I think it's the official injury of Crossfit.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:28 PM   #5
Kevin Anderson

Profile:
I've got it right now and my plan at the moment is to take a weeks course of ibuprofen, rotator cuff exercises, general shoulder exercises and stretching, and ice after workouts. I've never been to a chiro or someone who does trigger point but would if I knew a good one. I've been to the orthopod before and they just tell me I have an instable shoulder and to do the PT or get surgery. I blame my shoulder on lots of overhead throwing of baseballs and footballs. It comes and goes. I think if I was consistent with the exercises after it goes it wouldn't come back as much.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:20 PM   #6
Michael Homburger

Profile:
Lincoln wrote "perhaps some other stuff going on as well, such as a impingement of the supraspinatus".

Bingo! Good diagnosis.

It didn't feel like an injury in the area where I had pain, as I could never locate exactly where the pain was. It would just appear when I moved my arm above my head, but when my arm was down and I poked around with my finger, everything felt normal. That was my first clue that it was a referral pain. I went for a massage earlier today and my masseuse noted that my right side supraspinatus was extremely tight. She really worked it over and things already feel a lot better.

I suspect it got so tight due to the fact that I've done a fair number of pull-ups intensive workouts mixed with climbing and, the thing that probably pushed it over the top, a fairly long (120km) bike ride after not having ridden for about a month. Pain started shortly after that. I find riding really causes my upper back to tighten up if I'm not doing it regularly.

Thanks for the responses.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:04 AM   #7
Robert Wolf

Profile:
John-
The mullet avatar almost made me **** myself!LOL!!!
Old 11-23-2005, 12:03 AM   #8
Kelley Brownlie

Profile:
I'd go to a massage theapist work does trigger point, tragger, or myofascial release. Sounds like tight scalene muscles, SITS muscles, pectoralis, traps etc...
http://www.chiroweb.com/archives/09/24/10.html
http://www.pressurepointer.com/Scale...ger_points.htm
http://www.pressurepointer.com/Teres_trigger_points.htm
http://www.pressurepointer.com/pain_reference_chart.htm