CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-16-2006, 10:20 AM   #1
Mike Minium

Profile:
I'm curious about how trans fat ends up in the grass-fed ground beef at Trader Joe's.

It's something to the order of 1.5 g of trans fat per 4-ounce serving of ground beef.

Yet curiously, the hamburger patties have no trans fat (I assume they're made from ground beef as well).

Can someone enlighten me?

Thanks,

Mike

Old 06-16-2006, 11:25 AM   #2
Garrett Smith

Profile:
I noticed that too, Mike.

This should clear up most of it:
http://www.tfx.org.uk/page62.html

As for the hamburger patties, here's a possibility, from http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/transfat.html#after:
"Why Do Some Products Not Declare Trans Fat On Their Labels?

There may be two reasons why you are not seeing trans fat on a product’s label.

First, products entering interstate commerce on or after January 1, 2006 must be labeled with trans fat. As this is happening, FDA realizes that it will take some time for food products to move through the distribution chain to a store shelf. Thus, it may take a few months for products that are listing trans fat on their label to show up on a store shelf. However, you will see many products with trans fat listed since companies have already begun to declare trans fat on their products’ labels.

Second, FDA has granted enforcement discretion to some firms to use old label stock that do not declare trans fat after the effective date of January 1, 2006. In these cases, food firms followed the required process described in FDA’s Guidance for Industry and FDA: Requesting an Extension to Use Existing Label Stock after the Trans Fat Labeling Effective Date of January 1, 2006 (Revised)." For each request, FDA is considering whether the declared label value for trans fat is 0.5 g or less per serving. This information is important because lower amounts of trans fat would have less impact on public health than higher amounts of trans fat. Thus, trans fat information in the Nutrition Facts panel will be missing on some products (that contain lower amounts of trans fat) throughout the next year.

If trans fat is not declared on the label and you are curious about the trans fat content of a product, contact the manufacturer listed on the label."

Basically, only worry about the man-made hydrogenated trans fats. Boy, I'm going to have to explain this to a lot of patients. If only man didn't go screwing around with nature's foods in the darn first place!
Old 06-16-2006, 11:51 AM   #3
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Fermentive bacteria in runinant guts make some short chain trans fats. When I worked at the Fred Hutch and used my blood asa control for calibration purposes I always had a spike of 12-14 carbon trans fatty acids. They appear to be harmless.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:24 PM   #4
Mike Minium

Profile:
Got it. Thanks for the info and the links, gentlemen.