CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-24-2006, 09:35 AM   #1
Jamey Pittman

Profile:
I have been adding a Olympic ring workout to my Crossfit workout so I have notice that my abs are always being worked and sore the next day. I have lost 27Lbs altogether in the last 2 months but I still have a layer of fat over my abs. I have purchased the ABS diet and was wondering if anyone was familiar with this diet because I would love to lose the layer of fat and have a six pack of Abs near mid June. I planed on just doing the abs diet and not the included abs diet workout because I believe I have that under control. Is this abs diet along with my high cardio workouts and ring training going to achieve this for me or is there something better I can do.

Thanks
Old 04-24-2006, 10:55 AM   #2
Ted Williams

Profile:
Someone gave my wife this book a while ago...I have yet to look at it...I always learned that you can't target areas for fat loss...you lose fat all over, and some areas have more than others to lose. I've also always heard that some people just aren't able to have "6 pack" abs...

Interested in hearing what others have to say. So far I've been more than happy with the results I've gotten from my augmented (laxed) Zone eating and WODs...
Old 04-24-2006, 11:03 AM   #3
Jamey Pittman

Profile:
No The ABS diet does not insinuate fat spot reduction, it simply give you a workout plan and a diet to lose the fat. The only way to get that 6 pack to show is to develop them and a good diet that will reduce your body fat percentage enough for them to show. Some people can and some people will need surgery. There is a lot more to it in the reasons why so I will not bother listing them. So back to my question.

Thank for the response tho.

(Message edited by JP_Singer on April 24, 2006)
Old 04-24-2006, 11:14 AM   #4
Ted Williams

Profile:
Then shouldn't it be called the "body diet" :proud:
Old 04-24-2006, 11:21 AM   #5
Patrick Durkin

Profile:  
I bought the Abs Diet in airport last year. It's basically South Beach with a lot of bad puns. In my opinion the information on this message board is far more valuable than anything you're gonna find in Men's Health publication. You should check out the Performance Menu on Crossfit Norcals webite. Good luck.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:44 AM   #6
Elliot Royce

Profile:
I read it too and agree with Patrick. I think the Zone will do a lot better job for you, combined with CF. Basically, abs will start to show for most people below something like 8-10% body fat. It does differ a lot from one person to another so I'd be reluctant to make that your number 1 training priority. As someone else recently said on this board, would you prefer to be a skinny fashion model with a great 8 pack or a robust Cross fitter able to bench press the fashion model? If you've lost a lot of weight, too, then your skin needs to regain its elasticity for the abs to show meaningfully.

But if this is your goal, then get some calipers and see where you are on the BF %. Keep up the CF and do a Zone diet. Over time, you'll get there.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:57 AM   #7
Jamey Pittman

Profile:
Thanks Elliot that makes good since. and thank you all for the responses.

The abs Diet is not anything like the south beach diet and is nowere near as complex, I went on the South beach low carbs for the first three weeks diet and it is no comparison to the plan of th ABS diet. The abs Diet looks well though out and does not deprive your body of the foods it needs to lose weight. Ted you should get the abs book from your wife and read it and then I would love to hear your opinion on it.

Old 04-24-2006, 12:17 PM   #8
Patrick Durkin

Profile:  
According to the Abs Diet Book (p30) the nutritional principles that make up the abs diet are very similar to the south beach diet. The difference is the addition of exercise which I think we can all agree is good idea. In reality the only thing well thought out about the Abs Diet is the marketing plan.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:26 PM   #9
Dave Campbell

Profile:
Jamey,
I own and have read the The Abs Diet. Overall, it looks like a really solid eating plan. It's not a diet, it just a list of quality foods to center your meals around. If you ate like that, you'd be eating better than 98% of the people in the U.S. Combine it with Crossfit, maybe some extra sprint intervals and you'll be fine.
Do I follow the Abs Diet? No. I've said it here before; I'm a chef-instructor and I like food way too much to give up anything. I eat clean and in moderation, but I'm not counting almonds or keeping beef jerky in my glove compartment. I will agree that my performance is probably not optimal, but I'm fit and happy.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:36 PM   #10
Jamey Pittman

Profile:
Thanks Dave,

Even though my diet already is a healthy one I would like to go on a tight schedule of eating proper nutrition with food that targets getting the fat burners working So thank for helping me Decide that the ABS diet may indeed be good for me to help accomplish this goal.

Patrick, you could be correct in your comparison but I am sitting here reading and comparing myself and the abs diet does not appear to target the low card dieter like the South Beach Diet does. So in my opinion a book that cuts way back on carbs for the first few weeks verses a book that starts you off with everything your body needs is a bit different in my opinion. I agree strongly the marketing plan is well thought out.

But that’s just my opinion and I greatly Appreciate all of yours.