CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-13-2006, 11:26 AM   #1
Steve Johnson

Profile:  
I don't know much about whey protein but have been using it now for about 6 months. I've heard some people use the term "meal replacement". Is that something different than whey protein? Also, is it just me or are there so many choices out there that it's hard to make an informed decision?

thanks
steve
Old 02-13-2006, 12:19 PM   #2
Marty Lotspeich

Profile:  
Meal replacement is generally just a protein, not necessarily a whey protein, with the addition of some type of carb. The best whey proteins I've run across are these ones. I like to mix my whey protein with hemp and flax protein to get a better omega and complex carb profile.

http://www.lifesourcelabs.com/protein.html

http://www.jayrobb.com/cat_proteinWheyAll.asp
Old 02-13-2006, 01:22 PM   #3
Peter Queen

Profile:
Personally I like NytroWhey. It gives a higher protien % release per serving up to 60 % more. But thats just me. Like you said Steve, there are way too many choices out there. If you find something that works, stick with it.

http://www.prosource.net/product.jsp?path=-1|6477&id=11518
Old 02-13-2006, 02:39 PM   #4
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:
I have been trying to get off of powders as adviced by a few people on here, i now use
1 cup organic milk
1 cup organic yougurt
1 squirt of honey
1 Tbsp of flax seed
1 Tbsp of organic peanut butter
about a cup of berries
1 bannana
and 3 liquid egg whites

tastes good and have not seen any negative physique changes which i was worried about because i was always told whey=god when it comes to muscle gain.

Old 02-13-2006, 02:43 PM   #5
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:
I use 1.5 scooops of whey protein, 1 scoop of casein protein, 1/2 cut of oats, and tbstp of natural peanut butter mixed in eight ounces of water.

I drink two of these a day.

I also use two scoops of whey and 1 tbsp of natural peanut butter first thing when I wake up. I save the other two shakes for post workout and late in the afternoon.

all the best,
Arden
Old 02-13-2006, 03:40 PM   #6
Steve Johnson

Profile:  
As one post mentioned, use what works best for you. However, I don't know if what I'm using is working. I presume it is. I have been using EAS 100% Whey. I believe it contains aspartame (sweetener, i guess) which not having it seems to be a selling point in others. I did check some of the links others provided and what I saw looked very interesting. If anyone ever does manage to look up what I'm using, I'd be very interested in what you think of the product.

thanks
steve
Old 02-13-2006, 03:46 PM   #7
Marty Lotspeich

Profile:  
I don't like aspartame at all. I've read so many contrasting perspectives from "it can give you lupus and MS" from the far alternative side to "it is perfectly safe because the FDA says so" from companies and government sites. I just stay the heck away from the stuff because one I don't trust the government at all, and two seeing that there is such a debate there are a number of proven safe alternatives.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:20 PM   #8
Rafael Mattei

Profile:
guys: I have been using Whey for some time now, and it seams not to agree with my stomach at all:angry:.

I get an upset stomach preety quick. anyone experienced anything like this? i asked at teh GNC store, and they recomended digestive enzymes and or a lactose intolerance type of thing. I dont know about the intolerance because i eat and drink other dairy products with no ill effects. the GNC guys recomended also whey free protein powders, any suggestions?
thanks
Old 02-13-2006, 07:40 PM   #9
Frank Menendez

Profile:
i've been using this a very long time, you can't beat the price.

http://www.allthewhey.com

i get the protein blend, what do u guys think?
Old 02-14-2006, 12:06 AM   #10
Marty Lotspeich

Profile:  
There is sucralose in it. I think that sucralose is nasty stuff. The process they use to make it changes the molecular structure of refined sugar to include a molecule of chlorine.