CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-13-2013, 09:59 AM   #1
Eva Beasley

Profile:
WOD Food Before and After

Hi All,

So I have been doing CrossFit over a month now and would like to improve my eating habits. I have a few questions for all of you:

What do you eat before and after a WOD?
On days you do not work out what do you try to eat?

Basically I WOD on Tuesday, Thursdays, and Saturdays. The Tues and Thurs class are at night so I'm trying to see what would be the best meal of choice during my lunchtime and even a snack later in the day.

On Saturday my WOD is fairly early and at times I don't have time to eat, any suggestions on a quick snack / meal that will give me energy?

Thanks so much for your help!

Ev
Old 02-13-2013, 10:56 AM   #2
Richard Deyan

Profile:
Re: WOD Food Before and After

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Beasley View Post
Hi All,

So I have been doing CrossFit over a month now and would like to improve my eating habits. I have a few questions for all of you:

What do you eat before and after a WOD?
On days you do not work out what do you try to eat?

Basically I WOD on Tuesday, Thursdays, and Saturdays. The Tues and Thurs class are at night so I'm trying to see what would be the best meal of choice during my lunchtime and even a snack later in the day.

On Saturday my WOD is fairly early and at times I don't have time to eat, any suggestions on a quick snack / meal that will give me energy?

Thanks so much for your help!

Ev
Depends on the WOD. I usually eat a meal 2-3 hours before the WOD (if it's not first thing in the morning). If I know I'm working out sooner than 2-3 hours I try to avoid too much fat in the meal, I personally get stomach cramps if I eat too much fat or too much food in general too soon before any kind of physical activity.

After the WOD I always have whey protein isolate and usually a banana or two. Then another 60-90 minutes after that I have a regular meal again.

On your early morning WOD's I would simply grab something like fruit that is low to medium in glycemic load so your blood sugars don't crash. A small amount of whey protein would also do the same, or amino acids in powder form.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:51 PM   #3
Mike Haas

Profile:

I don't know if this is good or terrible, but it's what I do.
(I'm almost-exclusively noon workouts)

20-30 minutes before workout I quickly chow some oatmeal, usually throw in some raisins or chopped apple or lately some homemade granola because we have a big bag of it sitting on the counter.

20-30 minutes after workout I have either a protein shake or a protein bar of some kind, mostly because I'm back at work and hustling too much to eat anything real.

1-2 hours later I'll have some chicken salad or some fruit and nuts or something. Really, anything to keep me from gnawing on my keyboard, I'm ravenous until dinner.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:45 PM   #4
Richard Deyan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Haas View Post
I don't know if this is good or terrible, but it's what I do.
(I'm almost-exclusively noon workouts)

20-30 minutes before workout I quickly chow some oatmeal, usually throw in some raisins or chopped apple or lately some homemade granola because we have a big bag of it sitting on the counter.

20-30 minutes after workout I have either a protein shake or a protein bar of some kind, mostly because I'm back at work and hustling too much to eat anything real.

1-2 hours later I'll have some chicken salad or some fruit and nuts or something. Really, anything to keep me from gnawing on my keyboard, I'm ravenous until dinner.
I would say depends on the meal you had before as it will dictate your blood glucose levels but...that looks great. Especially if that oatmeal is the first thing you've had since breakfast 3+ hours ago, the oatmeal and raisins are fairly high GL so pre-workout it's going to be a good environment. Certainly better than low blood sugar levels and feeling crashed and hungry.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #5
Mike Haas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Deyan View Post
I would say depends on the meal you had before as it will dictate your blood glucose levels but..
Typical breakfast is a 2-egg spinach feta omelette and some bacon and toast.
If we're due for a grocery I grab baconeggandcheese at a deli on the way into work.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:46 AM   #6
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

before: protein powder and stimulants.

after: protein powder and meat. veggies can be added if you like.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:20 PM   #7
Rick Schwing

Profile:

Everyone is different, I usually do protein and peanut butter shake about a hour or so before depending on the intensity.

Right after I suck down another protein shake with oats blended in. Shortly or later depending, i will have a dinner.