CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:52 PM   #11
Damon Stewart

Profile:
Re: Running a CrossFit box as a hobby

In Utah it's the opposite...myself and most of the Affiliate owners I know are FT in their box.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:41 PM   #12
Aaron Owens

Profile:

I'm hoping to start part time soon, in the early morning and evenings after work... I would love to have a FT box. There are two gyms here with over 2000 members each, I think out of those people there should be a little interest. My biggest problem is funding for equipment and having a place to start. Ive thought of begging local commercial property owners for charity space lol.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:47 PM   #13
Lan Halbert

Profile:

My personal feeling is if YOU treat it like a hobby then so will your clients. However good luck in your pursuit, life is crazy and exciting things can happen.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:35 AM   #14
Alexander Martin

Profile:

Starting as a PT trainer but would like to see FT as soon as we have the business to support the switch.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:00 PM   #15
Steven Bowser

Profile:

Started as a hobby or part time extra income type business. Slow growth led to moving from 800 Sq ft to 2200 Sq ft in 10 months. Then 4 months later expanding into a 4200 sq ft facility. Still consider it part time at this point where the wife runs morning sessions and I run evenings after working my 8-4pm.
We just jumped over 130 members and are in the process of opening a sister location in Downtown Ft Lauderdale (The Playground gym aka CrossFit Ft Lauderdale). Hiring about 8 - 10 trainers (most part time) and got our eye on location #3 and #4 for partners to open (since only one box per person).
So yeah got to agree - run it like a hobby and clients treat it like a hobby. Getting ready to cap off our memberships at 150 and direct them to other CrossFit locations.
Good luck
Old 07-10-2010, 05:35 PM   #16
Andrew Bolliger

Profile:

Part time for me, full time for the wife. I will need to go FT at some point because I am working about 80 hours a week! Here is the real issue... if you do this part time and grow your box it will soon get to a point where it needs your full attention to continue to be successful. That point inevitably comes before you are ready and before the income is there (at least for me). I encourage and respect all the FT owners!