CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:58 AM   #1
Justin Yeates

Profile:
Looking for info on starting a box in WA state

So, Iím planning on starting a affiliate (or box to use the parlance of our times, man) in the Lakewood/University Place/Tacoma area of Washington state and was hoping that someone can point me in the right direction to research licensing, permits, insurance and hidden pit falls or costs that have popped up. Thanks in advance, this small business thing is new to me; I have spent my adult life in the Army.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:26 AM   #2
Keith Martin

Profile:
Re: Looking for info on starting a box in WA state

Not to piggy back on this post but I have the roughly the same questions.
Is the very first step to get your L1 cert? Are there things that I can do before getting the cert?
Old 07-22-2010, 10:24 AM   #3
Brian Strump

Profile:

Very first step should be visiting several affiliates and talk to the owners. See how they are run. Learn from their mistakes if they are willing to share.
Second, if you have no business sense, buy a book, take a class...training is great, but you will need to learn how to make money in your business to keep the doors open.
Third, legally to operate, the L1 cert is what you need. But, you will be doing a great disservice to CrossFit, and to your members, IF, you think will be able to properly train anyone following your L1 cert without any prior knowledge on anatomy, physiology, kinesiology, etc. in order to be a well rounded, knowledgeble trainer. After you get the cert, your learning CANNOT stop! Not just CF certs, but books, seminars, etc. will help more than you can imagine right now.
Good luck!
Old 07-23-2010, 04:39 AM   #4
Justin Yeates

Profile:

Brian, thank you for the input; I did not say anything about getting the level 1(and 2) cert because it is the assumed task. Itís kind of hard to have a CF gym without the CF part, right? And you are beyond right about continuing to improve as a trainer. I wish I could just drop by one of the affiliates but Iím in Iraq right now.
What Iím really looking for is advice on the city/state stuff that you need to navigate for a small business. Or a good place to look, books that help or something along those lines.

Thanks!
Old 07-23-2010, 06:44 AM   #5
CJ Kim

Profile:

Welcome (back) to Washington. I just moved back here myself, but I am a little north of where you will be. You will want to set yourself up as corporation or LLC -- an accountant or lawyer can talk you through the advantages/disadvantages of both. You should also contact the Small Business Administration in Washington (http://www.sba.gov/localresources/di.../wa/index.html), they can help you out with getting a license and making sure you comply with all the regulations.

Good Luck.