CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 01-08-2007, 10:18 PM   #1
Mitchell Brown

Profile:
When I was 14 or 15 I got into X-country MTB a fair bit. I was about 60 kilos at the time and it was a lot of fun.

Now I live about a block way from a national park with a few trails. The thing is, I'm 20y.o. and 87kg.

Should I even bother? Are there many heavy riders who are still competitive?
Old 01-09-2007, 12:26 AM   #2
Andrew Thompson

Profile:
I don't have any specific examples of heavy riders that are competitive or not.

I do know that I am about 4.5kg (10 pounds) heavier than you, and love mountain biking!

I have competed in a couple of Xterra off-road triathlons (swim - mountain bike - trail run). I finished mid-pack, but was not trying to be real competitive at the time.

This year I am going to do some more Xterra tri's as well as some XC mountain bike racing.

I have been mountain biking for about 10 years and think it is one of the all time great activities.

I say if you enjoy riding then get out on the bike and ride...there is just nothing like it!

Check out www.mtbr.com (w/f safe link with mountain biking info) and look at the message board. They have a lot of info about riding, and is a good place to ask bike and racing specific questions.

It is based here in the states but I think it would still be helpful to you.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:02 AM   #3
Ben Nance

Profile:
I've been racing now for almost 10 years and, at my prime racing condition, was 218lbs. I was, by far, the biggest collegiate criterium racer I came across but you can easily rock it as a bigger guy.

But the biggest thing with biking is just go and do it. You know it's fun. And yes, there will always be someone faster than you. There doesn't always have to be someone having more fun though haha.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:01 AM   #4
Chris MacFarlane

Profile:
You can still compete and have fun. Aside from training your only issue will be frame and parts strength.

Don't worry about parts being lightweight. Get one's that will get the job done. Buy parts for strength. Also invest in good strong rims, avoid any rims sold as XC as you will wreck them faster.