CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-02-2010, 02:23 PM   #1
Jordan Wallace

Profile:
Has anybody made the change?

Hey Guys, well, people may know i am a CF and training addict. I train pretty much everyday. Im following and olympic program which is 5 days a week, follow CFE and do my own programming for 3 on 1 off, 2 on 1 off. On these days i am hitting 2-3 WoDs, i never usually only do one WoD. My log s linked at he bottom of my page if you guys wanna look to see what your dealing with.

My questions are as follows:

1) if i drop the volume, will my expenditure drop, and il gain weight?
2) Im only eating about 2-2500 Kcal a day, at 17, but dont want to eat more as im scared to return to being chubby!
3) has anybody had this phycological block preventing them from just chilling?

Any input from people with past experiences would be great.
Thanks, Jordan.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:54 PM   #2
Brad Gutting

Profile:
Re: Has anybody made the change?

I was about to post a (somewhat) similar set of questions, but wanted to address yours first:

#1. It's good to see anyone, especially a young person, with such a ferocious work ethic. That said--DUDE. CHILL OUT. :-) You're likely doing too much and not leaving enough time for rest and recovery. Your body grows during those periods where you're doing very little, if anything. This schedule will burn you out otherwise.

#2. What is your bodyweight? 2500kCals is not enough for your average sedentary person, and it's certainly not enough for an athlete of moderate size. Eat more!

#3. Every serious athlete thinks they have to work hard, all the time. It's better than being a slacker, but not as good as being measured and methodical in your training. Don't sweat it. Ease up. Listen to what your body tells you; yes, there are times when an easy row or run will wash away that soreness, but you must be reasonable.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:59 PM   #3
Jordan Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Gutting View Post
I was about to post a (somewhat) similar set of questions, but wanted to address yours first:

#1. It's good to see anyone, especially a young person, with such a ferocious work ethic. That said--DUDE. CHILL OUT. :-) You're likely doing too much and not leaving enough time for rest and recovery. Your body grows during those periods where you're doing very little, if anything. This schedule will burn you out otherwise.

#2. What is your bodyweight? 2500kCals is not enough for your average sedentary person, and it's certainly not enough for an athlete of moderate size. Eat more!

#3. Every serious athlete thinks they have to work hard, all the time. It's better than being a slacker, but not as good as being measured and methodical in your training. Don't sweat it. Ease up. Listen to what your body tells you; yes, there are times when an easy row or run will wash away that soreness, but you must be reasonable.
i weigh around 135lbs, i was up at nearly 145 last week, but i have cut abit of weight as i was starting to feel slower on my runs.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:05 PM   #4
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

135 lbs? Unless you're really short, you need to be thinking about gaining, not cutting. As hard as you're training, chubbiness is extremely unlikely, but inadequate food is a real risk. It takes food to build muscle.

Katherine
Old 06-02-2010, 03:07 PM   #5
Jordan Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
135 lbs? Unless you're really short, you need to be thinking about gaining, not cutting. As hard as you're training, chubbiness is extremely unlikely, but inadequate food is a real risk. It takes food to build muscle.

Katherine
Yeah im 5ft 5in. im not skinny, i look athletic but im by no means a beast! I was going to try and gain weight, but i was just adding fat, so i stopped and got rid of that stuff right away!
Old 06-02-2010, 03:16 PM   #6
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

From, your log

27/01/2010
5x3 @ 90kg

Monday 31st May
Back Squats 5x6 - 90kg

I wouldn't call that really good progress.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:19 PM   #7
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Dude that is alot of work, I don't know how you are not burnt out from all of that activity + not enough food. To gain muscle, just ditch all of the metcons and lift heavy stuff + eat more. Look into Starting Strength or CFFB. 135lbs is very small, I'm skinny as a rail at 145lbs and plan on gaining a good amount of weight once my hamstring is healed.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:56 PM   #8
Jordan Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
From, your log

27/01/2010
5x3 @ 90kg

Monday 31st May
Back Squats 5x6 - 90kg

I wouldn't call that really good progress.
If I'm honest, I hadn't really looked at that. I don't want to do a CFFB, as its really low volume, and I will definitely gain negetive weight. I have tried to gain weight a few times lately, and it all goes around my midsection.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:12 PM   #9
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Pick goals. You haven;t improved much in 4 months at an age where you body wants to grow and be strong. I didn't look at the metcons, so maybe you are really crushing those, I'm not sure. Go through your log and see if you've made improvements in the things you want to improve. If you have, great, keep it up. If you haven;t, I'll bet dollars to donuts that your volume is too high and you're not eating enough.

Check your log and report back

" I have tried to gain weight a few times lately"
WHat were you eating, how much and what was your training like?

" and it all goes around my midsection"
Unless your goals involve getting on stage in your underwear while painted to be judged by other men, my response is: And this matters because...

Last edited by Jamie J. Skibicki; 06-02-2010 at 04:15 PM..
Old 06-02-2010, 05:16 PM   #10
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Wallace View Post
If I'm honest, I hadn't really looked at that. I don't want to do a CFFB, as its really low volume, and I will definitely gain negetive weight. I have tried to gain weight a few times lately, and it all goes around my midsection.
I'd trade my abs for a 175 lb C&J...in a heartbeat...