CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 10-19-2009, 11:57 AM   #1
Nancy Cohen

Profile:
Mental Health & Negative People

Was about to post this in "stuff and nonsense" but decided it was really an important mental health topic. (moderators, feel free to relocate)

I've developed low to no tolerance to be around my friends who complain and talk about negative stuff all of the time. Sorry but, I don't want to spend my weekend breakfast get-together, complaining about fat people, the health care system, the boy in the balloon hoax, etc..

This annoys me. It is such a downer, and I don't think I can stand it anymore. For my own state of mental health, I must either avoid these friends, or figure out how to change the topics faster.

This is a sort of mental health public awareness alert. Do not let yourself get dragged down into the negativity. It is very bad for your own mental health.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:19 PM   #2
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Re: Mental Health & Negative People

Here, here!
Old 10-19-2009, 01:01 PM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

Sounds like you need some new friends..
Old 10-19-2009, 01:55 PM   #4
Ian Kovtunovich

Profile:

So, uh, you disagree with how your friends complain about everything and are negative, and you come on here and...complain about it?

Interesting.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:48 PM   #5
Nancy Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Kovtunovich View Post
So, uh, you disagree with how your friends complain about everything and are negative, and you come on here and...complain about it?

Interesting.
Not complaining. Just stating the facts, and sharing the realization that it is unhealthy and that I plan to make changes (not hang out with them, or learn to change the subject). I was meaning to share my experience, and to encourage others to also make a positive proactive change if they find themselves in the same situation.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:46 PM   #6
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Kovtunovich View Post

Interesting.
and you sir spend a fair bit of time correcting people here with sarcasm. Is that your kick or just your superman complex and key to your vitality?
Old 10-19-2009, 05:21 PM   #7
Tom Seryak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Sounds like you need some new friends..
I totally agree, Steven. Sometimes you just have to let people fade out of your life, and then other times, these people are family members. In which case, you have to come to the realization that the only person you can control is you...including your reactions to other people's negativity.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:25 PM   #8
Nancy Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Seryak View Post
I totally agree, Steven. Sometimes you just have to let people fade out of your life, and then other times, these people are family members. In which case, you have to come to the realization that the only person you can control is you...including your reactions to other people's negativity.

Agree 100% with it all.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:20 PM   #9
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Frank, Ian-
We require a high level of respect to be shown at all times to other users of the board. Insults (either direct or indirect), bickering, and flaming of any kind will lead to suspensions and/or banishment from the board. Tolerance level for this behavior is extremely low.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:05 PM   #10
Clay Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Cohen View Post
I've developed low to no tolerance to be around my friends who complain and talk about negative stuff all of the time. Sorry but, I don't want to spend my weekend breakfast get-together, complaining about fat people, the health care system, the boy in the balloon hoax, etc..

This annoys me. It is such a downer, and I don't think I can stand it anymore. For my own state of mental health, I must either avoid these friends, or figure out how to change the topics faster.

This is a sort of mental health public awareness alert. Do not let yourself get dragged down into the negativity. It is very bad for your own mental health.
Funny, I was just thinking about this today. There are a few people in my life that I have started to tune out because every word that comes out of their mouths is either negative, whiny, or depressing. Last week they had worked themselves up into a depressive frenzy over the boy in the balloon story, I had to get up and leave the meeting I was in.

Life is too short to spend listening to negative or whiny people.

Thanks for bringing this up.