CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-14-2009, 08:57 AM   #1
Stephen Galvan

Profile:
My Encounter With Dynamax. A MUST READ!

Hey gang,

I am starting to outfit my new box and I got in touch with Dynamax regarding an order of med balls. Seems innocent enough right?

Here is how it went:

----- Original Message -----
To: dynamaxaustin@hotmail.com
Sent: Friday, October 09, 2009 12:59 PM
Subject: hello

I am in San Antonio, Texas and I was wondering if you guys offer any discounts for CrossFit affiliates.

I am a new gym in town and I am going to be ordering medicine balls and I would like them to be from you.

Thanks!

sg

Their Response:

De: Jim Cawley (dynamaxaustin@hotmail.com)
Enviada: sexta-feira, 9 de outubro de 2009 16:24:41
Para: STEPHEN GALVAN (steve_galvan@hotmail.com)
Cc: Rick Cawley (rcawley@medicineballs.com)
SG,
We offer discounts to many but Crossfit is one we no longer have any interest in supporting. Try the Garage Gym. They have developed a ball for their few exercises. They are part of the CF inner circle. That way you would be supporting the program that you obviously have invested in and believe in. We do not and are trying desperately to separate ourselves from their inner circle.

You would think that as much money as the inner circle has taken from those like you and others that they would arrange some sort of discount to purchase those things they buy and either abuse or do not use.

Maybe a discount on a 2-day "certification" that a chimpanzee with a $1000 could acuire.

------------------------------------------------

After reading this I was FUMING. Instead of popping off at the mouth to them, I wanted to get everyone's take on this.

Personally I will not be ordering anything from them, but wanted to share with you how they really feel about us.

Please respond with comments, thanks!
Old 10-14-2009, 09:11 AM   #2
Paul Siegel

Profile:
Re: My Encounter With Dynamax. A MUST READ!

They have either spelled accrue or acquire wrong.

Their personal animosity have impacted business decisions. It's seem pretty clear to me they no longer want any crossfitter's business.

So take your business else where. There are plenty of medicine balls like dynamax out there. Many at a lower price point. Good luck and good shopping.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:21 AM   #3
Stephen Galvan

Profile:

Right on Paul. They, in principle, seem not to agree with how we use their precious little balls for exercise.

Thanks for the response, I hope other affiliates understand how they feel about us and make an effort to support other companies that believe in what we do.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:35 AM   #4
Ian Kovtunovich

Profile:

Good heavens - is that a real e-mail from them?
Old 10-14-2009, 10:04 AM   #5
Ryan Hoegner

Profile:

Didn't see that coming..wow!

btw, we are using medicine balls from Christian's Fitness Factory and they work just fine.

Ryan
Old 10-14-2009, 10:26 AM   #6
Robert Britt Freund

Profile:

I live in Austin, just north of Buda where Dynamax is located. I have met and trained with Jim. I respect him enormously.

Jim is a really good guy and has a passion for training. He started Dynamax a long time before CrossFit and has strong opinions about what Medicine Ball training is good for (and not good for). Most of the founders in this industry hold strong opinions and probably say things they shouldn't in order to make a point. Coach Glassman can do the same, as can almost everyone when put in the right (wrong) situation. Jim is quite prone to this when he sees a challenge to his basic view on med ball training.

Jim's basic argument is that med ball training is for light, dynamic, fast movements. He says that no one, not even the strongest football lineman, needs a med ball heavier than 12 lbs. If you want to train the posterior chain, he says either use light med balls (typically 4-6 lbs) and do really explosive movements or else use weights. He is an advocate of Olympic lifting for anything heavier than 6 lbs. He feels that Wall Ball movements are not quick enough to accomplish the objective, and the person would be better off doing O-lifts with heavier weights or else very, very quick movements with light med balls.

In any event, I just wanted to share my understanding of where Jim comes from on this stuff. I am not defending his position or his email, just explaining.

One thing about Jim is that you know where he is coming from . He could just stay quiet and rake in the money, but he doesn't. He has been vocal about his opposition to CrossFit's approach to med ball work for quite some time. There is something honorable about a man who states his opposition clearly, even when it is a huge threat to his own income.

Regards,
brittf
Old 10-14-2009, 10:51 AM   #7
Greg Light

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Britt Freund View Post
I live in Austin, just north of Buda where Dynamax is located. I have met and trained with Jim. I respect him enormously.

Jim is a really good guy and has a passion for training. He started Dynamax a long time before CrossFit and has strong opinions about what Medicine Ball training is good for (and not good for). Most of the founders in this industry hold strong opinions and probably say things they shouldn't in order to make a point. Coach Glassman can do the same, as can almost everyone when put in the right (wrong) situation. Jim is quite prone to this when he sees a challenge to his basic view on med ball training.

Jim's basic argument is that med ball training is for light, dynamic, fast movements. He says that no one, not even the strongest football lineman, needs a med ball heavier than 12 lbs. If you want to train the posterior chain, he says either use light med balls (typically 4-6 lbs) and do really explosive movements or else use weights. He is an advocate of Olympic lifting for anything heavier than 6 lbs. He feels that Wall Ball movements are not quick enough to accomplish the objective, and the person would be better off doing O-lifts with heavier weights or else very, very quick movements with light med balls.

In any event, I just wanted to share my understanding of where Jim comes from on this stuff. I am not defending his position or his email, just explaining.

One thing about Jim is that you know where he is coming from . He could just stay quiet and rake in the money, but he doesn't. He has been vocal about his opposition to CrossFit's approach to med ball work for quite some time. There is something honorable about a man who states his opposition clearly, even when it is a huge threat to his own income.

Regards,
brittf
Agreed. I respect someone speaking out against something they disagree with. Even more so when it hurts their business. He has principles that are more important to him than his bottom line. Nothing wrong with that. Don't order from him if you don't like it.

I already have a 10 and a 20 and although I somewhat disagree with what he's saying it wouldn't stop me from ordering from him if I ever needed another medicine ball.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:52 AM   #8
Andrew Ohrt

Profile:

Refusing to do business with someone is one thing, coming down on a potential customer like that is unnecessary. Standing up for your philosophy is one thing, this is just misplaced vented frustration.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:58 AM   #9
Kevin Thomas

Profile:

Dynamax has been delivering the same message for at least a year. They are not CrossFit fans.

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showth...hlight=dynamax
wfs
Old 10-14-2009, 11:47 AM   #10
Eric Neri

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Britt Freund View Post
He says that no one, not even the strongest football lineman, needs a med ball heavier than 12 lbs. If you want to train the posterior chain, he says either use light med balls

Regards,
brittf
Ummm...I'm confused about where he's coming from. Don't they manufacture a 14lb, a 16lb, an 18lb, and a 20lb ball. Those are all more than 12lbs. He makes them and then gets indignant when people want to buy them?