CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 08-13-2008, 06:46 PM   #11
John McBrien

Profile:
Re: Johnny Mac's Log

13 August 2008
CrossFit Alexandria Intensity WOD

Eva
5 rounds for time of:
800m Run
30 KBS 32 kg
30 Pull-ups

DNF
I completed the first round minus about 20 of the 30 total KBS. After Monday's "Diane," I'm definitely paying for poor form on my deadlifts. I substituted 60 push-ups for the KBS in the second round and finished the second round of pull-ups. My back was so tight after my third 800 m that I just chose to stop. I finished with a lot of stretching and self-myofascial release with the foam roller. My lower back was obviously very tight and so was my left IT band. Some consistent foam rolling should really help with recovery. Hopefully at least some movement helped loosen it up, although it certainly didn't feel that way.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:06 PM   #12
John McBrien

Profile:

14 August 2008
Rest Day

Light stretching to try and help loosen up my back but I think it'll be better after a few days. It's tight and stiff but the ROM seems to improve daily. I'll have to be more careful with "Diane" next time.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:57 AM   #13
John McBrien

Profile:

15 August 2008
Rest Day

What on Earth did I do to my lower back? I think I may have pulled it or strained it during "Diane" on Monday. More stretching and rest is going to be needed. Disappointing because I was liking how I was recovering and perfoming! But that's ok, I'd rather fix it now and get back to doing the WOD then risk actually throwing out my back or something worse.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:48 AM   #14
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Finally found your log! You better be doing SOME kind of WODs while you are back @ Tech! I want to see frequent posts on this log, even if they all read like this:

12 Ounce Curls for time:

12 curled between 9:30 PM and 1:30 am -- passed out. Would have rather done Diane.

See you when you get back up here.

Sean
Old 08-20-2008, 10:24 PM   #15
John McBrien

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
Finally found your log! You better be doing SOME kind of WODs while you are back @ Tech! I want to see frequent posts on this log, even if they all read like this:

12 Ounce Curls for time:

12 curled between 9:30 PM and 1:30 am -- passed out. Would have rather done Diane.

See you when you get back up here.

Sean
Honestly, that is what it is like at the on campus gym. It's a Globo Gym, except it's far too small to accommodate a campus of our size. Thankfully I work at a gym off campus that has a platform and bumpers. It has the same problem, but at least when I do some WODs everyone leaves me alone.

The hardest part will be sticking with the "Zone" with on campus dining halls. I'm going to update the log frequently, but I haven't worked out much since Diane. It really did a number on my back - I need to work on my deadlift technique big time so I actually USE my legs.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:57 AM   #16
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McBrien View Post
Honestly, that is what it is like at the on campus gym. It's a Globo Gym, except it's far too small to accommodate a campus of our size. Thankfully I work at a gym off campus that has a platform and bumpers. It has the same problem, but at least when I do some WODs everyone leaves me alone.

The hardest part will be sticking with the "Zone" with on campus dining halls. I'm going to update the log frequently, but I haven't worked out much since Diane. It really did a number on my back - I need to work on my deadlift technique big time so I actually USE my legs.
Cool, John.
Keep it up.

Have you watched the videos on the main page re. deadlifts?
http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...dliftIntro.wmv
http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...dliftSetup.wmv
http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...dliftIntro.wmv
http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...tingAngles.wmv
http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...Alignment1.wmv
http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...Alignment2.wmv
http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...pDLAnatomy.wmv
http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...rmPosition.mov
Old 08-21-2008, 02:00 PM   #17
John McBrien

Profile:

16 August 2008 - 21 August 2008
Rest Week

With traveling, I took the opportunity to stretch and rest to let my back heal. I think it's doing better. I played a game of flag football a couple of days ago and it didn't seem to be an issue. I think I'll just have to be careful with anything heavy for the time being. I should hopefully be resuming normal workouts this weekend. I hate time off! But I'd rather be healthy than hurt .
Old 08-26-2008, 09:41 PM   #18
John McBrien

Profile:

22 August 2008 - 26 August 2008
Rest

Beyond a pick up game of football for a few hours the other day, getting back into a "school" schedule has been a royal pain. Falling off the horse is a whole lot easier because my days aren't regimented. I'm working on that though because Rudy from CF Alexandria talked about "3 weeks" on his blog and I don't want to make "3 weeks" (or days) into "3 months" of "sucking less."
Old 08-26-2008, 09:48 PM   #19
John McBrien

Profile:

27 August 2008

AMRAP in 20 minutes of:

5 Burpees
10 Pushups
15 Lunges
20 Situps
25 Squats

6 rounds + 5, 10, 15

If I hadn't been interrupted during this workout I think I would have easily made 10 rounds. It was my own experiment on something like "Cindy". The lunges and squats made for a lot of muscle fatigue but I didn't gas. It didn't have the metabolic effect or the overall stress that I expected. The named WODs really are beautifully designed - it's hard to match their effect!

My schedule is almost solidified so I'll have an idea of when I can consistently workout .
Old 09-22-2008, 02:16 PM   #20
John McBrien

Profile:

21 September 2008

Christine
3 Rounds for time of:
500m Row
12 BW Deadlifts
21 Box Jumps
This semester has been an absolute mess in terms of scheduling, course load, and work. I modified "Christine" with 135# deadlifts to work on technique and didn't do the workout for time. It is great to be at a point, finally, where I can start working out consistently again. It's my own darn fault .