CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:31 AM   #1
Damon Stewart

Profile:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,272081,00.html
(WFS)

Link is to the story of the 91 year old man who was punched in the head over 20 times while bystanders watch.

Based on what's taught in our schools is it any wonder that people stand around and watch when something like this happens? I'm surprised that people even have the courage to watch...that they don't run away. My 10 year old son is told that if on the playground someone were to come up to him and repeatedly punch him in the face that he cannot defend himself, not even grab the other child to immobilize him, without getting in severe trouble. The only allowable reaction is to run away and tell an adult. It's upsetting to me to see stories like this and feel that American culture is sliding from from strong to weak on an individual basis. If we're programmed to be passive in the face of violent assault from K go G12 why wouldn't we be passive as an adult on a plane, in college, or in a parking lot?
Old 05-14-2007, 10:14 AM   #2
James Besenyei

Profile:
Damon,

You have hit the nail on the head. American culture today praises the individual who practices self control to a fault. One is no longer allowed to defend his family, hearth, & home for fear of prosecution, and yes children are indoctrinated into a well documented culture of passivity while in the "academy". Questions arose for me recently when so many died at the V-Tech campus and I wondered what the outcome would have been if any one of those murdered students had a weapon and was trained to use it. Additionally, the only person who seemingly took action was an elderly survivor of the Holocaust in an attempt to save his students, truly an honorable man & an honorable death. Then there are the cries to end a war which we began well before 9/11, one which the enemy has the stomach for but many Americans find distasteful not because they believe in the ideology of the enemy, but rather because they fear having to give their time & possibly their lives to defend this great nation. Coupled with a growing "nanny-state" children are far too often raised physically weak, emotionally dependent, and intellectually devoid. I hope we can reverse this trend.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:33 AM   #3
Howard Wilcox

Profile:
Dennis Prager has said that the denial of evil is the strongest denial mechanism operating in the world today. I view this as a symptom of it.

I understand it is worse in Britain, to the point that almost any self-defense is prosecuted.

My girls won't be among the sheep, however.

howard
Old 05-15-2007, 03:38 PM   #4
John Seiler

Profile:
That B.S. about how they restrict your 10 year old makes me so angry I really don't even know where to start. 16 months of CrossFit and this is the closest I've come to puking. I guess I'd be getting my kid kicked out.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:12 PM   #5
Kevin Okerlund

Profile:
My 11 yr old son was suspended for 3 days for defending himself. He was slammed into a wall from behind and sucker punched. He then turned around and lit into the kid. Both kids..3 days out of school suspension. Common sense has left the country and political correctness is running it. I made sure my son understood he did the right thing in defending himself.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:02 AM   #6
Brian Yoak

Profile:
I am fortunate enough to have 3 wonderful sons. I have never taught them to be weak. It is an awesome thing to see their eyes get wide when I tell them it is Ok to defend themselves.
They have asked what to do if someone comes up to them and punches, kicks, or threatens them.
I tell them. Use your judgement. There will be times when you have to defend yourself, and you have daddy's permission to do it.
That invokes confidence and strength into them.
I don't want to raise nice boys. I want to raise strong men who are willing and courageous to fight in the face of injustice and stand for what they believe in, regardless of the odds.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:56 AM   #7
Peter Queen

Profile:
Great point Brian and everyone. I'm with you John. My daughters knows that I will not tolerate them being abused by anyone. I want them to be able to fight back if possible for at the very least just to stop the attack in the first place. Then I will just have to pay the other kid's father a visit.:msn-wink:
Sheep or sheepdog,...we do have a choice.