CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-04-2006, 07:27 AM   #1
Mitchell Brown

Profile:
I've just found crossfit this week. I've attempted to change completely to the Zone diet, however I haven't strictly followed the WOD as yet because:
1. I am without any form of equipment
2. I simply cannot complete it, before this week I had no fitness interest whatsoever
3. I am wanting to be able to do 20x20 pushups and 5x12 pullups by August 11th.
4. I don't have a permanent address

This week my training ritual has been as follows:
Mon: 4x 15 pushups, 4x20 situps, 3x3 pullups
Tuesday: 4x600 m sprints, 2x20 pushups, 2x10 burpees
Wednesday: Same as Monday
Thursday: 500 metre swim (rest day)

Is this the general idea of the crossfit program? Is better there a way I can reach my pushup goal as well as adhere to the crossfit program?

Cheers

(Message edited by skitzmixv9 on May 04, 2006)

(Message edited by skitzmixv9 on May 04, 2006)
Old 05-04-2006, 08:41 PM   #2
Ian Carver

Profile:
Mitchell,

I think the fact that you are committing to a workout program with goals in minds is a serious step in the right direction. Your entry into CF may be through your push/pull ups goals. As you get further along, you hopefully will be able to gain access to some equipment (you really don't need much) and you will begin to be able to start some of the WOD's. Once you get comfortable you can use the CF warm up as a mini WOD until you get the techniques down.

Remember, you DO NOT have to match the weight that is named in the workout. Scale the weights back to a manageable weight- they may almost seem to light, but you'll be surprised by the third set. In many exercises, body weight alone will hammer the snot out of you by the time you have completed the routine. The best results are achieved by going through the workouts with as little rest, or better yet -none, through the duration. Go back to back and you will feel the cardiovascular benefits as well as the emphasis that is placed on the muscles.

In looking at your above routine, I personally would add some squats and lunges so as to not forget the legs. Concentrate on form and get good depth. You can start practicing some olympic style lifts and overhead squats with nothing more than a broomstick or pipe. This is where you can get your form nailed down nice and tight before you start adding real weight and increase the chance for injury. The high number of reps will make it hard enough. CF is also usually done of a 3 days on-1 day off routine. You may wish to think of that as well.

The beauty of CF is that you are constantly challenging yourself, others, and the clock. You are able to gain fitness, a new physique, and confidence in yourself by reaching goals that were thought unattainable. Keep a workout journal with times and bodyweight and mix up your routines until you can start the CF program. You are on the right track. Eat right, work hard, and have fun. Keep it up and remember that all of this benefits you in many more ways than you realize.

Good luck!
Old 05-05-2006, 01:40 AM   #3
Mitchell Brown

Profile:
Thanks a lot for your help Ian. I will have access to equipment like a heavy back and dumbbells at the end of the month so I will incorporate them into my routine then.

I've done a search and haven't been able to find the CF warm up, do you know where I could find it?

Cheers
Old 05-05-2006, 05:49 AM   #4
Ian Carver

Profile:
Yes, if you go to the FAQ's section of the Crossfit main website, there are descriptions of the warm up as well as many of the exercises. If you highlight the text with your cursor, then cut it, you can paste it onto a blank MS Word document and then print it out. I did this with many, many different workouts so I can keep them all in a binder for reference. If you can't find the info, let me know and I will forward what I have via e-mail.

Take care.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:00 PM   #5
Rene Renteria

Profile:
Great job starting out and wanting to get fit! Whatever you do, don't stop exercising.

Is this the general idea of the crossfit program?

Not really, in my view. A major component is high variability of exercises, with many different rep, set, and weight schemes. High intensity is another major component, but ramp that one up slowly.

Take a look at the WODs, and try to do the different movements with whatever implements are available. Sandbags, rocks, water jugs in a backpack, lots of ideas on the message boards (maybe search for "home made equipment"). Also search out substitutions for the various exercises on both the message board and in the FAQ.

Go easy to start, really concentrating on correct form. Much info is available on the web about what correct form is. Things like the position of your back in deadlifts or the way your knees should track the line established by your toes in squats carries over to many, many different movements (and life in general), so don't think you have to find exactly the exercise you're trying to do to get ideas about correct form.

Your goals will come as you do the WODs. You may also find that your goals change, so keep an open mind about them.

Congrats on finding this place. I wish I had sooner than I did, that's for sure.
Best,
Rene'
Old 05-06-2006, 07:22 AM   #6
Jason Billows

Profile:
Do a search for some recent posts regarding bodyweight workouts. It will help you do great workouts without equipment.