CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:08 AM   #1
Jason Galvan

Profile:
LLC name vs. DBA name

Y'ello!!

for those who have opted for forming an LLC, did you have to go with a separate name for the LLC then file a DBA (doing business as)? I was told while filing my LLC that i couldnt use 'CrossFit Stockton' since CrossFit Inc. already exists (in CA). Is this a common problem?? Of course, I filed another name to keep the ball rolling and plan on filing a DBA once my LLC is completed. Just wanted to know if this is a speed bump i should have expected in the first place.

thanks for any input!
Old 04-15-2009, 01:04 PM   #2
John McPherson

Profile:
Re: LLC name vs. DBA name

My lawyer's point of view on this is like its supposed to be, extremely jaded. I specifically chose an LLC name that was very generic, and my DBA name uses 'CrossFit.' The idea behind this is if for some reason CrossFit fades away or you wish to disassociate with CrossFit or vis-verse (like you no longer want to affiliate), you can simply just file a new DBA with something like 'Jason's Super Awesome Hardcore Workout Program.' That being said, I know CrossFit won't fail, but just in case...
Old 04-21-2009, 09:04 AM   #3
Andrew Bolliger

Profile:
Re: LLC name vs. DBA name

I logged an LLC and a DBA that way I can use the LLC for other business ventures as well. The LLC is a generic name and the DBA is CrossFit Salem. The only thing I would change is that the DBA should list the LLC as the parent group because otherwise they are not linked and are two seperate businesses. For banking reasons I needed to have the two businesses linked in some way and just having the same owner is not enough. In your articles of oragization list your DBA as a subset of the LLC. At least thats how it works in Oregon. Your LLC name should be fine as long as it is not exactly like another one... doesn't matter if they share the word "crossfit".