CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-07-2006, 11:15 AM   #1
John Frazer

Profile:
I know from past threads that non-bouncing balls are preferred.

My question is, why?

Having tried both, it seems to me that a ball that bounces--at least a little--motivates more speed and coordination, since the challenge is to grab it on its way up. If you throw it down harder, it bounces a little higher, so you get a better chance to grab it on the way up.

I've done ball slams with balls that just flatten out like a blob of dough, and didn't find the exercise nearly as "quick" or powerful; you get the same result no matter how hard you throw it down.

Thoughts?
Old 06-07-2006, 11:25 AM   #2

Profile:

john - if you're slamming a bouncy ball successfully, you're not slamming it hard enough--it would remove all of your teeth on the rebound. The point is to generate huge hip flexion/arm adduction power--you want to be able to do this without wearing a hockey mask.

the real "power" is in the downward movement--that should be the focus more than the metabolic "power" that arises from faster turnover--bottom line, though, is that even with a jelly ball (zero bounce), you should be able to slam it as hard as possible and scoop it quickly to turn over reps very rapidly. finally, regardless of the bounce of the ball, you don't, as you say, get the same result no matter how hard you throw it--throwing it harder is harder.

so it's all about your objective--if you're concerned with developing coordination, get a ball you have to chase; otherwise, slam the **** out of that thing and race it to the ground to grab it.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:42 PM   #3
John Frazer

Profile:
Well, the ball has to have some weight to it so that the upward part of the movement takes some effort as well.

But it seems to me that with no bounce at all, it's harder to gauge whether you're getting a lot of power in the downward throw. A dough-ball lands the same if you drop it, as it does if you nearly pop it.

I think the ideal is a ball with just enough bounce that it'll come back off the ground, but not much, and only if you slam the bejeebers out of it. I did some slams with a ball like that once -- wish I knew the brand, it was a tough workout.

How much do the "semi-bouncing" D-balls bounce?
Old 06-07-2006, 01:49 PM   #4
Paul Findley

Profile:
My non bouncing D-ball comes like 2-3 inches off the ground. On different surfaces, I can increase this. That seems good enough.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:05 PM   #5

Profile:

john - yes, the ball will have some weight to it - up to 150 lbs or so if you really want it to. but the weight won't affect its bouncing properties a whole lot. like paul said, the d-ball typically makes it a couple inches off the floor. i've seen it maybe hit 8 inches, but that was a 6' 2" 230 lb bruiser with a single slam.

http://www.d-ball.com/individual_balls.html

the "non-bouncing" are the ones described above (yellow).
Old 06-07-2006, 05:39 PM   #6
George Brothers

Profile:
john
i own a yellow dball, 20lbs. slamming that is much different than slamming my 10 lb medicine ball and it has nothing to do with the 10lb wt difference. the dball slam is all about power and if you slam it enough then metabolics. its like the difference between running and rowing. for me slamming my old medicine ball never was about power. in fact, as greg mentioned i would routinely smash it against the rafters of my basement ceiling. now heaving the medicine ball against the wall and racing to catch it on the rebound is a whole other thing. that is about speed and agility. for that a dball really sucks.it sounds like you have not used a dball yet or much? once you have (try doing 100 dball slams in under 3 minutes) you will intimately understand the difference.i didnt until i got my own.you will know if you are generating enough power when the thing bounces and you can catch it. i got my dball for xmas this last year, think it was about 80 bucks plus shipping and it is something that i use all the time.
george
Old 06-08-2006, 01:50 AM   #7
John Velandra

Profile:
Gregg,
Should we also look - or wouldn't it help - at the downward phase as a way of training ourselves for getting under the bar faster in the oly movements?

The only way to "catch" the ball is to drop down faster - just like jumping under the bar? Versus a bouncing ball that allows me to catch it without too much of an aggressive drop...

Or am I way off?
Old 06-14-2006, 12:00 PM   #8
John Frazer

Profile:
Well, today I did some slams with my homemade 20# ball (basketball filled with sand & duct taped).

I was slamming it on a rubberized high school track and found I could get a couple inches of bounce if I really smacked it down.

Unfortunately, while the ball started at 20#, it probably ended up closer to 16# since it split after about 15 reps. The split got progressively larger and occasionally showered me with sand.

This slowed me down as I tried to position the ball to minimize leakage. For my cool-down I chucked it in a wastebasket. Good thing I ordered a D-Ball last week!
Old 06-14-2006, 12:29 PM   #9
Paul Findley

Profile:
After hearing about problems with the d-ball plug, I make an effort to slam the d-ball with the plug under my hand or opposite the floor. I don't know how many years of slamming may result in d-ball plug failure, I don't mind the extra challenge of maintaining the orientation. If I understand correctly the stiff plug used in the D-ball will eventually stress the thinner material around the plug. I am still a happy customer.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:56 AM   #10
Bryan McWilliams

Profile:
So for slams, is the consensus to go with the yellow (non-bounce) d-ball?