CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-29-2007, 01:37 PM   #1
Lee Weisenberger

Profile:
How much fruit is too much?

In general I see that carbs can come from "some" fruit, implying that while its not the worst carb its also not the best. So how much a day is too much. For example today my fruit consumption was:
1 of the following: apple, 1/2 pint raspberries, kiwi, peach.

This is fairly typical of the amount of fruit I have in a day, is this ok, too much, or could I have more if I wanted.

BTW I am a 180lb male..
Old 10-29-2007, 01:49 PM   #2
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Re: How much fruit is too much?

Lee;

1. So, how many carbs? Do you track?
2. Depending on the nutrition program you follow, what part do carbs play.

Simply cleaning up your diet away from processed foods, eating meats, veggies, some fruits with nuts and seeds along with good fats is great, no problems with a few carbs.

If on Zone, then you'd want that 40/30/30 ratio's.

Paleo, eat away, though it's just meat, veggies, fruits, nuts/seeds and good fats

If really watching carbs, then you need to read/decide where that number needs to be for you as everyone is different.

Just my two cents. but coach G did point to someone eating a banana and said that if you're eating that to get potassium, consider kale. Some fruits have less sugars, consider berries over a banana or apple.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:04 PM   #3
Lee Weisenberger

Profile:

An average day, I eat 200g Carbs, 150g Protien, 60g Fat. I track a week or two every couple months, but use those calculatations to know what to eat the times when I'm not tracking. I eat 6 evenly spaced meals, ~ 325c (+/- 25 cals) each. I typically limit fruit to the first 6 hours of the day. I eat a few carbs that are not on the prefered zone list (corn, potatoes, wheat bread).

I've looked at zone, I just have not had a chance to review the block in depth to translate what I am currently eating to how many "blocks" it would count as.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:25 PM   #4
Scott Clark

Profile:

I eat 5-10 pieces of fruit a day. Apples, bananas, blueberries, strawberries, oranges, etc.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:48 PM   #5
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Ditto what has been said regarding your personal diet and other food intake.

I eat significantly more fruit than you do on a daily basis -- and that is just for breakfast! I have 4 blocks of fruit in the morning generally comprised of about 2 cups of fruit including strawberries, pineapple, raspberries and blackberries... of course then I also get my protein and fat! I think breakfast is my favorite meal of the day.

I'll probably also have at least one apple and an orange as part of my carb intake through my snacks and lunch in addition to some veggies (red peppers, broccoli, etc.) for the rest of the day... sometimes 2 or 3 apples if I planned my meals poorly!

I generally don't have fruit for dinner - get my carbs from veggies.

Unless you are on an extremely limited caloric intake diet, it does not appear (from the info you've given) that your fruit intake is too high.

Last edited by Sean Dunston; 10-29-2007 at 02:50 PM..
Old 10-29-2007, 05:02 PM   #6
Garrett Smith

Profile:

I have a patient who does traditional exercise, eats ~12 pieces of fruit a day, and is showing up with pre-diabetic blood sugar levels.

For my patients, I suggest 3 pieces of fruit a day max.

If you're noticing symptoms of hypoglycemia if you don't eat every 2-3 hours, then you are eating too much fruit for your system.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:01 PM   #7
Lee Weisenberger

Profile:

Thanks for the info, everything i read seemed to mimick what Jay said:
Simply cleaning up your diet away from processed foods, eating meats, veggies, some fruits with nuts and seeds along with good fats is great, no problems with a few carbs.

Reading it over and over, the SOME reference lead me to believe less fruit the better but 4-5 piece of fruit is my crutch against the hardcore sweets. Just needed some reassurance.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:22 AM   #8
David Wallach

Profile:

Lee,

thats pretty much on the money for zone macro ratios: in '7days in the Zone' the good Doctor simplifies the block paradigm by using the '1-2-3' ratio method. One part fat, two parts protein and three parts carbs in grams.

Makes life VERY easy and much simpler than tweeking blocks, at least for me.

I weigh 230 at approx. 10% body fat (maybe a little more, not too worried about it) so for me the day works out great at around 100g Fat/170g Pro/250g carbs.

I like it a little heavy on the fat side and will often go up to 120g of fat or there about depending on WOD/Training intensity for that day.

As for fruit? Maybe three apples a day, max. I use just enough to make up for my carbs shortfalls.... really, there are just so many cubic meters of brocoli/spinach a man can eat!

cheers,

Chef

Old 10-30-2007, 05:13 AM   #9
Steve Liberati

Profile:

Apples, yams and green veggies are my only carb source (ok, and a occassional lara bar!) this time of the year. If it's not available in nature (locally) then its not available in my fridge. Additionally fruit can get a bit expensive (especially exotic and citrus) and can be used for other high quality foods like grassfed meats and almond/cashew butter.

But it really comes down to what works for you. Experiment and adjust accordingly.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:52 AM   #10
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

5-10 pieces of fruit. Mainly apples and oranges with occasional bananas, kiwi, pineapple and pears.

Intermittent fast every day from 2 pm to 7 am next day, have no problem with energy and hunger. BF is dropping steadily.