CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-15-2011, 08:18 AM   #1
Russell D Wells

Profile:
Rest days

How many rest days do you guys take in a 7 day week?

I take 1 actual rest day, and it is usually right in the middle of my 7 days. I also take Sunday off, but I usually run 2-3 miles on this day, so I do not consider it an actual rest day.

Is this what most of you do?

Last edited by Russell D Wells; 07-15-2011 at 08:48 AM..
Old 07-15-2011, 08:35 AM   #2
Ryan Saraco

Profile:
Re: Rest days

A rest day should be just that, rest. If you are running 2-3 miles, you aren't resting. Rest is just as important as your work days, and you are asking for underrecovery, slow gains, overtraining, and potential injury. Especially if you haven't worked up to a workload like this! I was training 6 days a week with one legit rest day, and it caught up to me. I was sore, nagging little injuries, and kind of stalling on gains. I now go 3 on 1 off, 2 on 1 off. I feel great, PR'd on all my lifts this week, and I think I've even leaned out a bit more despite putting on 4-5 lbs. Take rest days serious, do some mobility work if you must, but allow yourself the chance to recover!
Old 07-15-2011, 08:45 AM   #3
David Baxter

Profile:

yep ditto above mate - take a rest day -as in REST - I take it on a Sunday - have a sleep in - go have breakfast at a cafe see a movie - I find by Sunday night I'm itching to get into my workout early Monday morning - so the rest day is 2 fold - restoring the bent and broken muscles as well as keeping me keen for the next PR
Old 07-15-2011, 08:54 AM   #4
Michael Dowling

Profile:

i'm a little older than the average c'fer here i think, i take 3 rest days a week, and i need every one of them. i hate taking them too, i would like to be in the gym everyday, but my body just can't recover.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:44 AM   #5
Dustin Standel

Profile:

There is a serious discussion revolving around the question of overtraining and under resting. It all depends on your nutrition program and how much sleep you get at night as well as your bodies ability to recover. Most people in my experience det the best results with a 2 on 1 off rotation, or the CF traditionally reocmmended 3 on 1 off schedule.

Also, you might be better off moving your run to a day you already workout on - make one day a two-fer. The extra day of full rest will benefit you I think.
My Workout Log Box Jump-36"; Deadlift-335; Clean and Jerk-150; Split Jerk-155; Weighted Pullup-20; Squat-245; Press-140; Bench-210; 3RM Thruster-145; DT 22:43 (105#)
Old 07-15-2011, 11:06 AM   #6
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Crazy you bring it up... Dr Hartman (he's an oly coach and dr of physiology) posted an excellent blog titled "Overtraining vs Under Recovery" (wfs) earlier this month. Totally worth a read !
Old 07-15-2011, 11:44 AM   #7
Craig Amor

Profile:

Hi

Im my opinion recovery is the most important part of any training regardless of work load.
I have experimented with different periods of rest. For me, its one on one off. The only thing i would say is listen to your body, if your tired/sore back off another day. Stay hydrated and eat clean.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:16 PM   #8
Russell D Wells

Profile:

Thanks for the answers everyone. The way I workout now is 2-on, 1 off, and then 3-on, 1 off. It sounds like I need to stop the running on my Off Sundays, and do it on a gym day.

As far as getting enough sleep, I try to get 6.5-7 hrs of sleep every night.

Eating Clean...... I will say that I am eating cleaner now than I used to, however I am not eating as clean as I was while on the Whole9 30 day challenge. I have added some things back in.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:16 PM   #9
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

I'm 43 and focused on strength right now. My cycle is 3 on 1 off repeated twice. This produces an 8 day cycle which won't work if you belong to an affiliate that is closed on Sundays. 2 heavy lifting days, 2 heavy lifting + shot met-con, 2 longer met-cons, 2 rest.

3 on 1 off, 2 on 1 off seems to work the best for people who have to conform to a 7 day week. In a 28 day period this equals 20 WODs vs 3 on 1 off which equals 21 WODs. Not a big difference.

I recently did some work on getting more sleep and improving my sleeping environment (very dark, very quiet) now I'm up to 7.5 to 8 hours and can tell a big difference.

If you are hitting the weights hard when the WOD involves lifting you should need the recovery time.

Quality before quantity.