CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-03-2007, 03:55 PM   #1
Seth Hollen

Profile:
My left hip (I think it just the flexor) hurts after squats. I am only using light weights. usually 50-80lbs and am focusing on my form to get low and not be on my toes.

I have recently added the samson stretch to my warmup, could I be over doing it on this and then the squats irritate it?

I was hoping someone might know of the hip hurting being a sign of me doing something wrong in my squat.

thanks,
Seth
Old 05-03-2007, 07:46 PM   #2
John Rowland

Profile:
I'm not positive but I had the same problem when I finally started doing full squats, my hips would hurt during and after the sets like they were being torn, as time has gone on that pain has decreased and I am pretty sure it was just a flexibility issue. It could very well be somthing else but if your new to full squats and arent very flexible in the hips and ankles then just give it time and it will work itself out. As far as the stretching goes I wouldnt think that the Samson Stretch would be the problem. Try just warming up for squats with the movement itself for a few sets and see if that helps because you might not be properly warming up for the exercise
Old 05-03-2007, 09:17 PM   #3
Seth Hollen

Profile:
hopefully that's it, I thought I was pretty flexible, but I really feel it doing that samson stretch
Old 05-04-2007, 08:10 AM   #4
John Rowland

Profile:
Its probably just flexibility but keep in mind that you have to drive from the hips to get outta the hole on a full squat so you will be feeling it in the hips alot more than when you used to do qauter or half squats. Unless its a pain that last for days and doesnt feel like DoMs then I wouldnt let it concern you that much. As well if your incoporating static stretching into your warm-up do it after you have done the warm up so as to not start stretching cold, but in my opinion save the Samsons for after you do your squats and just use the squat movement itself as a warmup for your body before you put loads on...doing static stretches before an exercise generally doesnt have a positive benifit as your muscles lose that rubber band effect where as the movement of the exercise itself warms you up just fine. GL
Old 05-05-2007, 12:13 AM   #5
Jason Donaldson

Profile:
Hi Seth

Have you got Mark Rippetoe's "Starting Strength"??

In there he talks about a tendonitis pain in the hip flexor region that can be caused by the knee moving too far past the toes. You may want to try that to ensure your form is spot on.

He uses a block remedy where a 18" x 10" x 4" block of wood is placed on end about 1 or 2 inches in front of the toes of one foot. The idea is that you squat so that your knee just touches the block first and remains stationary whilst you go to the correct depth.

I have recently started a ME black box routine where I'm squatting a lot. For the first few workouts I was getting really sore, even during my warm-up sets. I now stretch my hip flexors after my warm-up sets and after my work sets by placing a knee on a bench and stepping forward. A sort of modified Samson. The pain is decreasing and my squats are improving.

I am also very mindful of my form, especially where my knees are going, wide and just past my toes.

Also, buy Starting Strength if you haven't already got it.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:43 AM   #6
Elliot Royce

Profile:
There are two schools of thought on the knee passing the toes. My own O lifting coach disagrees with Rippetoe on this one, and personally I've found that the squat is facilitated by letting the knees move forward. You can cause other problems if you constrain your movement too much. I don't have any proof besides my coach's 30 years of experience and my own limited experience. I suppose you could argue that when people (say tribesmen) squat naturally, they don't stick their butts as far back as they can and keep the knees just in front of their toes. Instead, they sink into a balanced position.

I do agree completely that your weight should still be on your heels so you should only push your knees forward as far as you need to get the hip flexors to fold. Remember that each of us is built differently. My femurs are huge in relation to the rest of me. Someone with smaller femurs might have a different position.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:06 PM   #7
Seth Hollen

Profile:
Thanks everyone, I did get starting strength and I'm still working on the squat section... so much information!
My hip is feeling better, I'll see how the next squats go
Old 05-07-2007, 12:18 AM   #8
Brandon Oto

Profile:
It may be a teaching tool. I find that when I'm thinking about keeping my knees back, my weight is on the heels and my hips fold differently, and the muscles fire differently -- much more hamstrings and glutes, feels like I'm "pulling" more through the rear rather than "pushing" down from the quads.

Between this and making sure my knees track with the feet and don't wander all over, my knee pain has pretty much cured, which is a very good thing. YMMV?
Old 05-07-2007, 09:57 PM   #9
Sean Manseau

Profile:
hmmm i've had a similar issue recently, and this is after squatting for ages with no problems! i got on the starting strength program, and after a few weeks my hip flexors started to ache like crazy, even just doing body weight squats. actually, that pain is pretty much just during my warm-ups, but i've actually lost about 20lbs off my work set weight.