CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-02-2007, 06:53 PM   #1
john walther

Profile:
Hello All,
To tell yall a little about myself I'm a 21 year old college student here in Kentucky and I like to think that I am in pretty good condition. But after coming across this cite i have come to realize that my strength and conditioning is nowhere where it should be. I'm 5'9 and about 170 pounds. My true goal in life is to become a firefighter when I graduate college hopefully around the Nashville area. I know there are police officers and military personel (Thank you guys for all you do)on here and I was wondering if there was any specific area of training I should focus on. Hopefully there are a few firefighters who would like to give me some tips as well. Id greatly appreciate it.
Oh yeah started my CF training today and almost puked more than once!haha felt great though.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:26 PM   #2
John McBrien

Profile:
Hey John,

First off, welcome to the board. I know that in the past there have been numerous threads associated with LEO and firefighting. In addition to additional input some of the users will provide here, I would use the search function to track some of those older threads down. They had some good stuff (sorry I can't find the links myself!)
Old 08-03-2007, 07:38 AM   #3
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Welcome John!
Old 08-03-2007, 10:07 AM   #4
William John

Profile:
Hey whats up, I am Medic in a busy city who works w/ the fire dept. all the time. I have many of the same task as them as well, like carry people and carry heavy equipment so I know they importance of staying in shape and all though I don't follow the WOD I due use this site for ideas. What I due is workout w/ weights 2x a week focusing on upperbody strength. Then I due a boxing workout 3x a week which I imcorparate a body weight circuit for muscle endurance ( you'll need it when perfroming CPR) and sandbag/ sledge hammer training. For cardio I run 2x a week and ride a bike 2/1 x a week long distance depending on my work schedule. I try to keep my workouts short and intense becuase I work long hours, late shifts and due to EMS paying like crap I workout a lot of hours. I am trying to get on a PD so staying in shape important to me and I feel great at work and capable of my job duties. I hope this info helps you.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:08 PM   #5
Peter Queen

Profile:
Welcome John. Here is a previous link that you can start off with. http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/21/28210.html (w/f safe)

Any other questions just ask. In the meantime, good luck and have fun.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:59 PM   #6
William John

Profile:
Hey I just read that previous thread and I know from experience one of the most important muscles are handgrips. Even know when I think I have strong hands they still hurt when carrying someone and you never want to drop anyone. So They are very important.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:23 PM   #7
Robert Olajos

Profile:
Hi John, and welcome!

Your query got me thinking and searching. I read a pile of old posts on firefighter fitness from the CF archives. Lots of great info there, make sure you check it all out. Here are some posts that contained info specific to your question.

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/3499/42500.html
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/20/36357.html

I'm a FF and I pretty much just do CF. Amazing improvement. Any firefighter or recruit could benefit from this program. Of course, getting a FF job is more than good physical conditioning. It sounds like you're a few years away from applying, so now is a great time to begin to prepare for the aptitude testing, pad the resume, get lots of certifications, ridealong expereince, community volunteer hours, coach kids soccer.... The list goes on.

Once you get about 3 months away from an actual physical test, you'll want to refine your training to focus on what you will be tested on. There's threads in the archives to help with that too, when the time comes. But until then, just stick to the WOD, or the Black Box, or whatever turns your crank. CF will put you well ahead of the pack.

Also, considering you just started today, take a good long read through all the threads over the last month in the Starting section of the forum. There you will find all the links and info you need to get going.

(Message edited by seldom seen on August 03, 2007)
Old 08-03-2007, 09:02 PM   #8
Benjamin W Herbert

Profile:
Hey, you live in Nashville man? So do I! The crossfit enthusiasts are few in numbers here but we do exist. Where do you go to school?
Old 08-22-2007, 04:54 PM   #9
Michael Byrd

Profile:
Re: Firefighter training

I also live in Nashville. I moved up here about a year ago after graduating college. My buddies and I did CF for awhile in college, but now I'm just recently getting back in to it. I've been meaning to check out the CrossFit Gym here in Nashville. I mainly do the CF workouts at the YMCA.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:36 PM   #10
Neal Dickey

Profile:
Re: Firefighter training

John,

Everyone here is giving you great advice on training. The only thing I can give you is to try keep your diet as tight possible. This will be increasingly difficult at mealtimes at the station, but on your off-days you're in control.
Drop a line if you're ever in Los Angeles and we'll get some training in - that goes for anyone else who happens to be in town.

Good luck!