CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 06-02-2007, 07:31 PM   #1
Dan Santibanez

Profile:
My wife and I started crossfit about 2 months ago and also started the zone diet at the same time. Since then I have lost about 10-15 lbs and inches off my waist. However my wife has not lost anything. No inches, no weight. All she has gained is strength and upper body muscle tone. She wants to lose inches off her waist. What is she doing wrong? We eat the same and do crossfit together. She is getting very discouraged. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:52 PM   #2
Connie Morreale

Profile:
oops. double post.

(Message edited by Connie_m on June 02, 2007)
Old 06-02-2007, 07:53 PM   #3
Connie Morreale

Profile:
not knowing anything else than what you have written....ramp up the cardio. daily sessions above and beyond the wod. if the wod is a butt kicker, like the filthy 50, then, naturally cardio is not necessary. but on days with the M.E. lifts or wods lasting less then 20 minutes i would have her add some moderate (i'm sweating and a bit uncomfortable) cardio for 30 mins or so.

as for diet, i assume you mean you are eating the same things but she is eating less of it. your calorie requirements are going to be higher than hers so her portions should be 1/4 to 1/3 smaller than yours. calorie in...calorie out.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:00 PM   #4
Jason Steele

Profile:
Dan-

Post some exerpts from your diet log for us to see. It's hard to give advice with very little information to go on. What was your starting weight versus your wife's? What was your relative body fat percentages? How does she do with the metcon workouts?
Old 06-02-2007, 08:30 PM   #5

Profile:

as connie said, the fundamental and unavoidable issue is caloric balance. if your wife is not losing any weight, she's eating as many calories as she's burning. no way around it. so she can try to either do more or eat less (or both)--but keep in mind that you can create a much larger calorie deficit through nutrition than through training.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:16 PM   #6
Dan Santibanez

Profile:
I appreciate the quick responses. Here is a tad more info. She had her thyroid removed 2 years ago and is on medication for it. Does anyone know if that could make it harder to lose weight? I'm 5'4 and started out at about 162 lbs my wife is 5'9 and about 166. I am down to about 145 and lost about 3 inches off my waist and she has not budged. I have heard not getting enough calcium can make it harder to lose weight. But it hard for me to believe that after 2 months of diet and crossfit she has not lost anything. She has never been on a diet and never worked out like this before I would imagine her body would react with some type of progress.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:48 AM   #7
Connie Morreale

Profile:
caveat to post: i am not in the medical field....

dan, the thyroid issue is a HUGE factor, and possibly the only factor here. the thyroid regulates metabolism.
have her keep a super meticulous log of her food intake and workout time/intesity. take it to her doc and he can decide if her meds need adjusting. (without the log he may blow her off. every doc hearss" i'm dieting and exercising and i'm not losing any weight")
Old 06-03-2007, 09:04 AM   #8

Profile:

I'm not a doc either, but...

With or without a thyroid, the body has a metabolic rate and requires a certain amount of energy to perform its daily tasks. Without a thyroid the metabolic rate will be significantly lower (i.e. body will use fewer cals in a day, which is why hypothyroid folks gain weight or have trouble losing it).

But the underlying physical laws remain: if the body is burning more calories than it is taking in, weight loss must occur (the body cannot create matter from nothing).

The issue is that calorie reduction and activity increase will have to be greater than normal to see the same results. So the approach is identical--just magnified to compensate for the lower MR.

Take Connie's advice and have her keep a very detailed log of food and training. Do the math on the calorie intake and then start dropping it incrementally and see what happens. The basic idea is to reduce calories as much as possible without compromising energy/performance too greatly.