CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-06-2009, 11:56 AM   #1
Jeffrey Thorn

Profile:
MiR or TKO Weighed Vest

I'm in the market for a new weighted vest. Currently I have one that is great for pull ups/ squats/ push ups etc. but it plain stinks when it comes to fast movement exercises. I'm looking for a vest with a more secure fit so that I can run, do burpees and box jumps without the thing bouncing on my shoulders (which is a real pain in the arse)

I would say i'm a medium build ( 5'9" around 170 lbs.) I was looking into either the MiR 50# short vest or the TKO 40lb. full vest. The TKO seems alot more secure becuase of the ellastic straps as opposed to the buckles of the MiR.

I do not plan on using more than 30 to 40# during my workouts so the MiR I would obviously have an extra 10 lbs to play around with.

Any help and insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:39 PM   #2
Jason Ashman

Profile:
Re: MiR or TKO Weighed Vest

I have the TKO "liquid metal" 40lb weighted vest. Its some sort of soft silicate rectangles across the front and back of the vest, and runs about $200 cdn.

I love the frickin thing- I wear it around the house for cleaning, and occasionally for workouts. Its solid, and the weights have almost zero movement when compared to the "pouch" vests. The weights are held in elastic pockets, and move with the body. Side to side movement results in only limited "swing" of the weight, and the wraps keep the vest itself tight to the body.

The only drawback is that the heavy duty material the weight is constructed from is not the most comfortable on bare skin.

No experience with the MiR, but the TKO- the sillicate/liquid metal version- is well worth the price.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:21 PM   #3
Zach Krogdahl

Profile:

I recently purchased a Mir Vest and have been happy with it. I got an awesome deal on a 60# one which is far too heavy for most things but I like having the option. My only complaint with it is that it is difficult to go overhead with it on. I have done box jumps and burpees with it on and it stayed in place just fine. Overall all I would give it a B+. Not great but pretty good.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:44 PM   #4
Jeremy Lee

Profile:

I have a MiR 75lb short vest and a skinny 25lb vest. The 75lb vest is difficult to do pull-ups in and the buckle broke after a few months just by clipping it together , I can still use it, but I have to wrap a red band around my chest . The skinny vest is real comfortable and great for pull-ups. Both are good for dips and ring push-ups. Doing eleveated ring push-ups with both vests on is a great chest work-out. I barely ever bench and my bench press it still pretty strong just from the ring push-ups.