CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-03-2008, 04:36 AM   #1
Dan Hardy

Profile:
Pull Up Problem

I'm still quite the Cross Fit Newbie...and I'm loving it!

The problem I'm facing is that when doing an Angie or any other hi rep pull ups, my arms get too...pumped. They just can't bend anymore. It usually hits me in the 50 rep range (not in a row, obviously). Is this normal? I've noticed that I can get a few more reps overall now than I could a few weeks ago (like 54 instead of 49). Is it going to be just a matter of continuing the training?

TIA!
Old 01-03-2008, 05:52 AM   #2
Alex Rosch

Profile:
Re: Pull Up Problem

for your higher rep WODs, PU wise, you might get more out of a sub like negatives, jumping or assisted PUs.
Or, take smaller 'bites' of the PUs by partitioning the sets you have. Say you can get 10 PUs in a row (as a PR), so you figure that you'll do sets of say, 8...after you've done that 5 or 6 times you can't keep up. Stay fresh and just do sets of 5 or 4 at a time so that you can do (in the case of 5) 24 sets (say for the 30MU WOD where you sub 120/120 PUs and dips)...even go to 3/3...or 2/2...
There are a few approaches to the problem...just stick with it...there is NO shame in subs and partitions...
You can also do what you can, then more to the next 'easiest' sub...so start out with dead-hangs, then kip, then a little bit of assistance, then more, then jumping PUs, then negatives...or whatever...just write it down and it's all good!!

Old 01-03-2008, 02:20 PM   #3
Stuart Smith

Profile:

Just keep with it Dan. It sounds like normal muscle fatigue which develops as you do. You'll get there.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:29 PM   #4
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Do you mean that you actually can't bend your arms at all, or you can't do a pull-up? If you just ran completely empty on pull-ups, then it will be fixed with more endurance.