CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 02-14-2005, 01:46 PM   #1
Troy Archie

Profile:
Is there two different types of seminars that CrossFit holds? I'm under the impression that there's training seminars and Certification seminars.

I've just re-read December's Journal and now I'm chipping away at Eugene's write up, on this past weekend's Certification Seminar, and as I'm reading these articles it makes me think how much a beginner, like myself, could learn in just that one weekend alone. So who are the seminars for? Do you have to be a high end athlete or a top notch CrossFitter to attend or can a mere mortal like I sign up and not be too humilliated?
Old 02-14-2005, 01:52 PM   #2
Ron Nelson

Profile:
As long as you leave your ego at the door and have made friends with the pain, I think you'd be welcome with open arms!!
Be aware that Coach reads the board from time to time and will know you once he sees your name. There is no escaping his and Lauren's graciousness and welcome. In other words, if they hold it, you should go. . .at least once!
Besides, you get to meet loads of CF all-stars!
Old 02-14-2005, 02:50 PM   #3
Mike Minium

Profile:
Troy,

All levels of athlete, trainer, and coach are present at the seminars. You'd absolutely be welcome. That "mere mortal" concern seems to be an issue for many going into a seminar (it was for me) but that quickly disappears--usually right about the time we hit round 3 of bottom-to-bottom tabata squats! It won't be an issue, I promise.

I highly recommend going to at least one seminar if you can make it.

And Ron, you need to make it to a three-day seminar one of these days, too.

Mike
Old 02-17-2005, 09:19 PM   #4
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Troy - If you liked my training "synopsis" you would absolutely love going down to HQ and participating in the seminar. Your concerns are nearly the opposite of reality. There is almost an inverse relationship between your 'newness' and what you will get out of the seminar. Getting started along the right path is hypercritical to your proper development. Are you doing your Olympic lifts perfectly? Is your squat as perfect as Lani Lau's? Do you understand the CrossFit philosphy? Are you doing the Zone? How much better off would you be if your were instructed in such a way that your form and your understanding was brought up to the CrossFit standard?

If you went there and just listened and never did a single exercise you would be way ahead. But throw in the actual practice and reps and the "feel" you can only get from expert instruction and your understanding and performance will go through the roof. Let's say your performance is not exactly...stellar. What, do you think somebody is taking notes? OK, I was taking notes, but not for the purpose of revealing weakness...except mine. You will be cheered and your peformance celebrated as if you were knocking on the door of a world record. What counts at CrossFit is not beating the other guy, but rather beating yourself, into submission. If you hammer and clearly are tottering on the edge of a Pukie visit, you are a CrossFitter and belong in the community every bit as much as the likes of Annie and Greg.

The seminars are for anyone who wants to be better at everything they do. If you have already started pursuing the WOD and the basic CrossFit philosophy you owe it to yourself to meet the greatest thing to ever happen to fitness.

Go forth and conquer mortal. I see a trip to Santa Cruz in your future. You will love it.