CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-16-2007, 06:38 AM   #1
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
Is there anyone on the boards who has been following the NHE diet from the book.

I.E. low carb mod fat for for three days then a carb up afternoon/evening meal on a 3/1 then 4/1 cycle.

Has anyone tried it, using it still?
Old 06-16-2007, 03:25 PM   #2
Scott Hagnas

Profile:
I've done it before, and liked it. I have dropped the carb ups in favor of a more seasonal eating approach - low carbs in the fall, winter, and most of spring. I feel better w/o the carb ups.....

Scotty Hagnas
CrossFit Portland
Old 06-20-2007, 06:24 AM   #3
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
I'll make an assumption from the lack of responses, that no one else in this community is eating that way currently.

I am giving it a go as an experiment. I read the book and found that I had been eating a pretty low carb zone ~24 blocks protien, 5-15 blocks carbs, lots of fat ~3-5x. My carbs have mostly been cruciferous(sp?) or leafy greens lots of volume low cals.

The NHE diet in the book calls for roughly 50gm of carbs per day most days and a very brief carb up evening twice a week. On this carb up you keep protien and fat low. You eat "unlimited" predominantly starchy carbs.

Strangely enough I am not really even looking forward to the carb up but am interested in how this will affect my performance. What the heck, I would not want to live in a world where I could not experiment on myself.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:42 PM   #4
Thomas James

Profile:
I did NHE diet a few years back and on the nights that I ate only carbs and little to no protien or fat I felt horrible. I also gained body fat in a short period. I did it for about 2 months and wasn't happy with my results. Everybody is different when it comes to these eating programs. Maybe it will work for you, it didn't for me.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:54 AM   #5
Skylar Cook

Profile:
I'm interested. Post results in a few months, please!
Old 06-23-2007, 07:01 AM   #6
Gayle Melnick

Profile:
I tried it for about four months two years ago. I didn't really see results in either direction. Didn't gain or lose muscle or fat. The lack of fat loss was probably due to the fact that i loved the carb up days and pretty much went crazy during all of them. If I had limited the carb intake a bit and ate only high quality carbs (quinoa, yams, oatmeal, etc) then perhaps I would have seen some fat loss. I'd like to see how it works out for you.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:37 AM   #7
Larry Cook

Profile:
Craig,

First, out of curiousity, are you following any particular nutrition plan at the moment? What are you looking to gain by switching to or adopting NHE? In what ways do you feel your current plan is lacking?

I followed the NHE diet for close to a year, before I started CrossFit ... I had really great results, but I was coming from a terrible nutrition lifestyle so I think almost any reasonable program would have gotten me results.

My observations 1) The book is a great resource (I must have read it 10 times), even if the author has a funny habit of quoting himself, 2) I had trouble with carb-ups ... I'm not sure if it was the amount or type that was the problem, 3) I felt better with a less frequent, more random carb-up using mainly fruit and oatmeal, 4) Once I started CrossFit, I had a real problem with "bonking" during the met-con workouts.

My diet is now somewhere between the NHE plan and the Zone diet, and in a fashion that seems somewhat similar to what Scott describes.

Good luck and keep us posted on your experience.

Larry
Power Barn
Old 06-24-2007, 06:25 PM   #8
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
Larry,
Actually my diet is pretty good and I am very lean. If this does not improve things (more muscle with no additional fat, or possibly becoming even leaner)it will be evident. (I have been tested multiple times for LBM and BF% via "bod-pod" and underwater weighing.)

#1 I have been eating a lower carb version of Zone for a long time. Mainly because I just feel better with less carbs.

#2 When I read the zone I was already eating this way and when I upped my carbs at each meal to follow zone I did not feel as well.

#3 I am getting old and hoped this diet would actually help my hormonal profile.

#4 For some reason I thought Cross fit endorsed some of the logic of the author so I assumed more Cf'rs would be using it. (yes I know it sounds like he enjoys his own company a lot)

#5 It is getting harder and harder to balance my advancing age, ability, job demands ect. At 44 I am stubbornly trying to make progress in my physical condition.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:08 PM   #9
Larry Cook

Profile:
Craig,

That all sounds good, and I'm with you on the age thing. I think there are probably a lot of CF'rs that have done something close to NHE, and that book used to be discussed more on the message boards than it is now.

The other thing that I have found to be key as I get older is sleep. I know it can be hard to get the requisite 8 - 9 hours/night with work/home/kids/bills/etc. Also, I find even when I get to bed on time the quality of my sleep is not what it was in my 30's. But I do believe that good sleep can have a big impact on your hormonal profile.

There is no doubt that you have to be more stubborn as you get older, but progress still comes. I have a 53 y.o. man who just hit a PR in the BP of 325#.

Good luck,
Larry
Old 06-27-2007, 06:10 PM   #10
Scott Hagnas

Profile:
Craig-

I'd agree with what Larry said, especially about sleep. Get it any way that you can.

The earlier that you can get to bed will pay off in the area of recovery, as well.

Good luck!

Scott Hagnas
CrossFit Portland